Wine Spectator Top 100 Thread

Wine Spectator starts announcing the top 10 wines of the year tomorrow. Anyone have guesses on what wine might be wine of the year? Could we see a 2018 Zinfandel crack the top 10?

Tom

1 Like

It won’t beat this top 100 from Haskell’s in Minneapolis!!! Never seen a top 100 at this caliber.

Back up the truck on this one! [wow.gif]

2 Likes

Yawn!!!

Yawn!!!

I don’t know the Haskell’s link above has some really interesting wines that you have never tasted. Mud Pie could have tremendous potential.

Volpaia CC 2015 was top ten last year. The 16 is even better. Also kudos for the Colene Clemmons 17 Margo. Lots of highly ratted 16 Barolos. I’m sure you’ll see one or two in the top ten.

Mud Pie Chardonnay? [bleh.gif]

Tom

1 Like

And so it begins . . .

Bollinger at #10 and Beau Freres at #9 . . .

https://top100.winespectator.com/

Cheers

Good start!

Maybe a Ridge? 2018 Geyserville or Pagani Ranch

I have no clue what they’re raving about these days…but it would be nice to see Napa Cabs getting more attention in the #1 spot. Germany, Rhone, Champagne, Barolo, & Beaujolais all need to be in the 51-100 range.

2 Likes

#8 2015 Bodega Piedra Negra Chacayes Los Chacayes
#7 2016 Massolino Barolo

Tom

I was right about 16 Barolo. They’ve handed out a lot of high scores for those. There could even be a second one in the top ten.

John Glas wrote: ↑Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:02 pm
It won’t beat this top 100 from Haskell’s in Minneapolis!!! Never seen a top 100 at this caliber.

https://info.haskells.com/2020-haskells > … 0925793358

Back up the truck on this one! > [wow.gif]
Mud Pie Chardonnay? > [bleh.gif]

Tom

Tom next time I get out to Seattle to see my brother I will drop off a bottle! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

At one time this was a big deal. I wonder… does it move the needle much at all?

1 Like

It still causes the top wines to sell out at retail doesn’t it?

And prices to rise…

Yes it does. People show up at wine shops with the list and expect to be able to buy the full top ten.

1 Like

Yup still does. We had 45 cases of the Massolino Barolo in stock when this came out, sold out in about 20 minutes

I will say that based on limited anecdotal evidence, it does. Last year for example, I was in one of my local shops shortly after the full list had been released. There were two people in there that had the actual WS list printed out, and were going bin by bin looking for anything on the list. This shop also put big shelf talkers on any wine in the top 100, and lo and behold, most of those bins were emptier than the other bins.

2 Likes

I was watching K&L inventory on the Bollinger, and they sold out pretty significant inventory same day when it made the top 10.

1 Like