TN: 2015 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis (Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo)

I have a few and had been wanting to do a little check in:

• 2015 Cavallotto Barolo Bricco Boschis - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/6/2020)
    Way too young, and it made me pay for being so impatient. It’s borderline approachable with significant air, and it seems to have the makings to be mind-blower one day. It is rather rich, darker fruited, with mushroom and beautiful rose -scents on the nose. It has finesse, and feels regal and popped a bit with the short rib and truffle polenta. But…there is a wall of structure here protecting all that beauty. My other few bottles will sleep for a good while.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Thanks, Dennis. I have a few of these and was just planning to bury them for awhile based on tastings of Cavallotto over the years.

1 Like

Yep. I was thinking of checking on a 2010 last night, which might have been the better choice. Patience is required. As you know…

Arguably the 2015 might have been the safer bet, catching it when the fruit was big enough to fight the tannins. They can close up, though perhaps that’s not the risk it once was?

1 Like

As Ian said, I’m guessing the 2010 is probably shut down hard considering the vintage. The '96s and '99s aren’t fully ready yet for my palate.

1 Like

I had the 15 a couple times last year and my recollection is the impression that it will be an earlier maturing wine, but not quite this early. I have a few bottles and plan to give one a shot in 5 years-ish. Thanks for the good note!

Good point.

Thanks, Michael. There are several notes on CT learning toward this wine being somewhat approachable “earlier” Just wasn’t the case on my bottle. 5 years+ sounds about right. Cheers.

Yes, I’ve learned the hard way these wines really, really demand patience. The patience will be rewarded…in another decade or so.

1 Like

Dennis- had the 16 this week. It was terrific. I was really surprised how approachable it was. The nose was off the charts and while the tannins were firm they really were very fine and never got in the way. One of my favorite 16’s.

1 Like

Thanks, Fred. It seems many 16s are still in a sweet spot. I don’t have any Cavallotto yet, or I’d take one for a spin [cheers.gif]