Sparkling Wine Planning December through February

We have some Celebrations coming up, and many of these are likely to be in lockdown. So let’s talk about what you’ve had lately, what you’re planning to enjoy in December, on New Years, on January 20, and on through to Valentine’s Day.

No doubt many of us are in the same boat this Hanukkah/ Christmas: lockdown with the pets, so let’s get festive.

From my own POV, I’m especially interested in reading about readily available sparklers between $40 and $100 ish. The lower range means more bottles can be enjoyed – a hundred dollar sparkler will probably be a one-off.

Ready, Set, Pop!! champagne.gif

Hi Beth! In that range, we love Schramsberg, usually around $35-40. For a bit more (maybe $50), Roederer L’Ermitage is fantastic.

Hi Beth,

I’ve enjoyed a good deal of champagne in that price range recently.
This should all be pretty find-able.

Pierre Paillard makes gorgeous wine at steal prices – ‘Les Parcelles’ or ‘Les Motellettes’ are two solid cuvees.
Agrapart’s entry bottling ‘7 Crus’ is very special.
Michel Arnould Verzenay Reserve
Chartogne-Taillet ‘Sainte-Anne’
Marguet ‘Shaman’

The ones I’ve been drinking most have been The Ste. Anne, Bollinger Special Cuvee, and Michel Arnould Grande Cuvee. I recently picked up some Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve which is really excellent.

Just tonight I opened a bottle of the Paillard Les Parcelles (2015 base) and loved it. I re-ordered. It was one of K&L’s Champagne Club selections and their club price is $35.

Another one we really enjoyed recently was JJ Lamoureux Brut Rose.

1 Like

In the $100 range the wines I’ve enjoyed and cellared the most have been Ulysse Collin’s, but unfortunately I think they have moved past the $100 point now.

First Bottle Wines has the 2006 Billecart Salmon Cuvee Nicolas Francois for $100/bottle. I just had the 2002 on my wedding night and it was mind blowing. For reference, I normally see the 02 on the shelf in the 150-200 range.

Billecart-Salmon Brut Rosé

Roederer Estate NV Brut

Some really lovely recent wines:

Agrapart 7 crus
Agrapart Mineral
Aurelien Suenen C+C Blanc de Blanc

And from Oregon, Lundeen 2014 Blanc de Noirs (this really out performed my expectations)

Cruse Tradition - available direct. The Cruse sparklers are real pleasures - and so affordable, you could celebrate with a magnum!

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh champagne.gif

+1 on both of those.

Save them all up to empty my pockets January 1-8 for a good cause:)

Also, I liked the recommendations…don’t do too much bubbly myself, although I enjoy it when I have it champagne.gif

The “Black Friday” sale at Zachey’s would have been perfect. I snagged 9 bottles of a killer BdB for about $29/bottle that is well worth the normal price tag of $45.

NV Moncuit, Robert Extra Brut Les Grands Blancs I still think this is a really great value even at $45.

A Black Friday Champagne sale; how fun! I’ll keep it in mind for next year.

So far it’s going to be a (mostly) Roederer Holiday; I found several locally and there’s a wine guy at Total Wine who just ordered a case of L’Ermitage to re-stock. He’ll call when it’s in. I also found a bottle of Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut in my wine stash. I have no idea what its like, but readily confess I’m a sucker for those Art Nouveau wine labels.

Several of my favorites mentioned already. The Chartogne St. Anne is a regular feature at home. Love the Vilmart Grand Cellier and the Pierre Peters Cuvée de Réserve, which are both as close to house Champagnes as we get.

NV Delamotte will be in the lower end of that range and is always a crowd pleaser.