• La Ca Nova Langhe
  • Trediberri Langhe
  • F. Rinaldi Nebbiolo d’alba
  • Giacomo Fenocchi
  • Sordo Nebbiolo d’Alba
  • Sottimano

0 voters

This is another offshoot of the Bottom Feeder thread

to pick the cheapest wine you’d be happy to drink from Europe’s top regions.

Langhe Nebbiolo. The baby Barolo/Barbaresco. A great value wine from one of the very top red wine tereoirs in the world. But which one is the best value under $20.

I’ll wait a while before putting up the poll. From the main thread we already have:

Produttori $15
Vallana Campi Raudii $15
Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe $20

Any other good choices?

Remember, under $20 and it’s not which one you prefer, but which is the best value.

Cheers [cheers.gif]

Vallana Campi Raudii is not Langhe Nebbiolo. It is from Alto Piedmonte. There are a bunch of great under $20 wines from that region, but that is not what you are asking for.

I would add that most Langhe Nebbiolo worth pursuing are now over $20, and maybe even over $30. From a value standpoint, great value wines from Langhe can better be found in the non-Nebbiolo varieties.

And it looks like Vajra Nebbiolo Langhe for under $20 is an East Coast phenomenon. It is over $20 on the West Coast.

So that makes the Produttori is the default winner! [winner.gif]

Where can you get Produttori Langhe Nebbiolo on the west coast for under $20?

Dupe.

Ha! Not so fast. We don’t even have enough suggestions to start a poll never mind having a winner.

Are you Otto in disguise? [rofl.gif]

Maybe we can increase the price to $25 if $20 isn’t realistic for this category.

Good point! I assumed the OP had at least that accurate. But yes, I see Sec has the 2018 on pre-arrival for $25. The slate is now clean of valid entries!!! neener

My market I occasionally see Produttori at $20, never under.

Produttori used to be under $20. No more. My back up the truck source, which had the 2016 for $18, has the 2017 and 2018, and both at $25.

[snort.gif]

Going back to your original idea:
What is the cheapest, widely available wine from a major region that you’d happily drink without feeling you were drinking something vastly inferior to what you most like drinking in this region. Traditional leaning styles preferred.

Piedmont - a major wine region. Yes, but why do you insist on Nebbiolo? Berserkers could easily fill a long list of sub-$20 delicious, delightful, available, and INEXPENSIVE wines from the Piedmont which in no way would be considered inferior for Piedmont or inferior for daily drinkers.

switch to Barbera :slight_smile:

Ruche!

The idea of this thread was to find a cheap version of the ‘grand vin’ of the region. Other grapes may provide a great bargain, but give a very different experience. Sorry if I failed to mention that. I’m leaning as I go along. newhere

1 Like

But, but, but… Dolcetto was once considered the grand vin of Le Langhe (and still is in Dogliani)!

BTW, I’m leaning too. Especially as I get further down in this bottle.

Oooh! Or Freisa. Do you have any good recommendations (other than the impossible to find Scarpa.)?

Well, it was good value then and it still is. Strangely, I feel more motivated to buy it now because the price delta with the Barbaresco has stretched.

Based on NY pricing, $20 is pretty lean for the 2018 Produttori Langhe. $25 is appropriate but stores always offer case discounts you can take advantage of if you’re buying quantity.

I like David’s suggestion of Ruche but I thought these were not necessarily Nebbiolo…as Chris pointed out my understanding is that much of the Ruche is either a blend with or all Freisa.

I represent a few producers of Langhe Nebbiolo. One is Aldo Conterno and not it the value conversation.

Marco Porello is known for his Arneis but his Langhe Nebbiolo is from Roero, sandy soils and more red fruit. Not really like a Barolo producer’s Langhe.

Pasquale Pelissero is a small, family owned operation in the Barbaresco zone. Two generations of women but the son is now 21 and starting to get involved in harvest and winemaking. Hopefully good things to come.

They should come in at $20ish or under depending upon where you can find them.

[cheers.gif]

Full Pull recently offered the 2017 Vietti Perbacco for $19.99. That count?

That’s a great price.

He was joking, I’m pretty sure.

Ruché is another local grape, usually made slightly sweet and fizzy. No relation to nebbiolo or freisa, which are closely related.