TN: 2017 Henri Germain et Fils Meursault

2017 Henri Germain et Fils Meursault - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault (12/8/2020)
Immediately expressive nose bursting with orchard fruits, peach pit, wet stone, lime peel, vanillin, white flowers. Palate shows ripe white peach, pineapple and a tight minerality on a strong acidic backbone. Great balance that will only increase with some age. This is the top 2017 white village wine I’ve had. (94 pts.)

Love love love Germain. I had a few btls of his ‘17 Charmes arrive today.

Thanks so much Andrew. It makes me look forward to my bottles of Charmes. Cheers!

Yes, 2017 turned out really well chez Germain! (as did 2018, and 2019, incidentally)… I think I have written that this is the single most underrated producer in Meursault, and happy to say it again. Try a 2017 Limouzin if you have any, but be a bit more patient with the Chevalieres and 1ers crus.

1 Like

Fantastic. Have a couple of bottles of '18 Mersault and Bourgogne Blanc stashed away, but this post just made me want to open one now to see how it develops in the coming years.

I succumbed to this temptation after I picked up my bottles. 18 is structurally quite open but it will put on depth if you can wait 2-3 years for Bourgogne and 4-5 for Meursault. It’s not as concentrated as the 2017, but that will be less apparent with some bottle age than it is right out of the gates.

Thank you for the advice!