TN: 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Skinner Stoney Creek Vineyard

• 2016 Dirty and Rowdy Mourvèdre Skinner Stoney Creek Vineyard - USA, California, Sierra Foothills, El Dorado County (12/8/2020)
    Opened a White Oak Flat that was DOA. Popped this one instead. Pours with some burgundy tinges but still isn’t what I expected color wise. Nose shows Mourvèdre funk and dried flowers. Light bodied, lithe strawberry and black raspberry. Kinda low key but with short bursts of fruit, acidity and chalk.

Back to the previous bottle after dinner. No funk, no flower petals. Just hints of what could have been. Very strange. Not cooked or raisiny, just stripped clean.

Bottle 1

Bottle 2

Posted from CellarTracker

White Oaks Flat, not Stoney Creek?

1 Like

Good spot, the Stoney creek was the good wine and the White Oak Flat was DOA. I read Skinner and ran with it. I wrote the note on the 2nd bottle not realizing I had two different wines.

Brian-
Sorry to hear about the wine. The description of the White Oak Flats definitely sounds like an off bottle. I’m happy to make a replacement / exchange.

The color on both looks spot on- White Oak Flats was always our last pick and struggled to get color every year while the Stoney Creek site ripened much easier (picked usually 3-4 weeks earlier).

The '16 Stoney Creek should also be super floral, potpourri-like, and should feel more like Foillard Fleurie vs. Mourvèdre.

Happy to replace or exchange both. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Thanks Hardy but that’s not necessary. I was just surprised by the brown color in a wine that was only 4 years in bottle. I saved the remainder to see what it shows this evening.

Yes. The color on White Oak Flats is always been brickish -even going into bottle. It is odd as it is not a high pH wine.

I had a 16 White Oak Flats in the house and opened it while making coffee- for science! It should be mineral, floral, and have a lot of fruit and crunchy / granular tannin.

If you are on pickup for any of the new wines- I’ll sneak another in your box :slight_smile:

1 Like