TN - 2018 Carl Loewen Riesling 1896 - updated

Just as it took me time to come to love St. Emilion, so too has it taken time for me to finally love and truly embrace dry German Riesling. Having the 2018 vintage around helps- I find generally (at least in the Mosel and Nahe) that the forward and slightly sweet nature of the vintage makes these a bit more approachable than I have found in the past. And today I had my first ever encounter with a most wonderful one indeed.

2018 Carl Loewen Riesling 1896

bright lemon color, a beguiling array of primary fruits and herb notes on the nose at first, on the palate ever so slightly sweet with gooseberries, grapefruit and subtle lime notes, dried herb tones throughout, and underpinning all of that a tense and undeveloped minerality with textures and tones of white sand, after about two hours the wine closes down on the palate and becomes almost brooding- still approachable on the front but with a powerful long dry finish, 6 hours later it has now settled- more approachable but still not as enticing as it was when first opened, now there are some floral tones on the nose, on the palate the full depth of the mineral textures now flows through all the layers of primary fruit- leading into a fine long aromatic finish with lime acids and dried herbs, this is really exceptional wine and promises to blossom beautifully with some cellar time, this wine is new to me so predictions are difficult, but I think 5-6 years will be enough before it begins to unfurl, despite its racy tendencies- overall this feels very complete and even calming as compared to its peers. In that respect it reminds me of Chateau Figeac.

(*****), 2025-2040+

Note for anyone who goes seeking this out- on CT and winesearcher both there is some confusion in the marketing of this wine (CT is accurate but there is a manually added entry that is duplicative and on winesearcher the descriptions are not always complete enough to differentiate). There are 2 1896 Rieslings- this one a Grosse Lage, and the other a Trocken Alte Reben. The former, the one noted here, carries a very dark grey label while the Trocken carries a tan label. Where there is no distinction, you can go off price though I would confirm with merchants first if buying sight unseen- the Trocken seems to go for around $40-50 while the Grosse Lage is $75+. I hope I have this precise- it is based on limited research. Grateful for any corrections needed.

EDIT - Thanks all for the kind words and good feedback. David- when I read your post it occurred to me to go back to Terry’s catalogue and check there. I leave the above intact for reference, but it turns out that the CT designations do match the catalog- and per the catalog and CT, what I tasted is simply labelled as “Riesling 1896”. As noted below by Charlie, it comes from the Longuich Maximin Herrenberg.

The tan label wine is designated as “Maximin Herrenberg Grosse Lage ‘1896’ Riesling Alte Reben Trocken”. Another distinction is in the packaging in case that helps. The Riesling 1896 I tasted above comes in a 6 pack wood case. The Alte Reben Trocken comes in a 12 pack cardboard case.

Making matters more fun, it turns out there is also a “Maximin Herrenberg Riesling Grosses GewĂ€chs” which comes from a parcel planted in 1902. This one is also available to me locally and seems a good one to explore this weekend.

2 Likes

I really love this wine! The entire Loewen lineup has been the highlight of the last two Skurnik portfolio tastings I have attended. And it is unique enough and different from a lot of the other dry/GGs I buy regularly that I have added this particular wine to the yearly must buy list.

I will admit the two different colored labels are confusing.

So, you’ve finally loved and embraced dry German Riesling with an off-dry German Riesling? [stirthepothal.gif]

I love this wine. The 2015 was one of my absolute favorite wines of the year when it came out. I bought more than I think I’ve ever bought of a single wine, definitely of anything over $20. The '17 is amazing too. I put the '18 a small step behind those two, but it’s still very nice.

It’s very confusing with the two different labels. This is the one that the Skurnik catalog refers to as Feinherb, though it doesn’t say that anywhere on the label (at least the '15 doesn’t). I find some similarity between this and the Stein Hölle 1900 bottling. I don’t know if it’s the very old vines, winemaking, vineyard sites, or a combination of all of those things.

I adore the 2015 version of this wine. Have a bottle in the wings for sometime very soon.

It’s not clear from Terry’s write up of the 2018 whether the 2018 is officially trocken or a feinherb, but I am pretty sure it’s in the trocken range, as opposed to the 2015 that was decidedly feinherb.

As much as I love the wine, I sorely miss the Schmitt-Wagner wines that came from these vines. Old school. Treasure every single bottle that I have left. Along with the Merkelbach brothers being now largely retired I feel like an era is over.

1 Like

The vineyard is Longuicher Maximin Herrenberg Weinlagen

Doug,
Thanks for forcing me to buy a couple of the 2015 and 2017 back in the not-so-long-ago day.

David,
I share your wistfulness re Schmitt-Wagner. I’m down to my last bottle of 2001.

[cheers.gif]

The 2015 was absolutely amazing!

Original post edited to reflect the results of some more research.

Cracked a bottle a few days ago.

• 2018 Carl Loewen Riesling 1896 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (6/16/2023)
    Does vine age matter? Whenever I drink this cuvée I tend to go, "fuck yeah, it does!" This wine is so layered, dense and precise while maintaining a sense of delicacy that's hard to replicate and always makes it fun to drink.

On the nose, a touch of flint gives way to some red fruits, mirabelle plums, red grapefruit zest alongside dried spring garden herbs, and powdered ginger undertones. Spine-tingling acid. Chewing and swirling on the wine almost causes a brain freeze like effect. Linear and piquant on entry with a touch of RS. It then expands and fills out into a concentrated and powerful wine—though think swimmer's build rather than power lifter. A bite of sansho flower gives the wine a long tannic, spicy and mineral finish makes it almost feel dry. AP 12 19

Closure: natural cork
    ABV: 12.5%
    Decant: n/a; drank over the course of ~4h
    Stem: Grassl Mineralite
1 Like