drink or hold?

three bottles I have been debating opening over the next year. I have looked at CT, but still a bit unsure. I only own 1 of each of these and have had neither before so if anyone has had any of these recently and has any thoughts it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2006 Capanna Brunello di Montalcino
2004 Corte Pavone Brunello di Montalcino Riserva
2009 Virna Barolo Preda Sarmassa

figured I would bump this once, but guessing I’m out of luck here. Thanks again in advance if anyone has any thoughts.

I have not had any. I feel the dilemma. It is a bit why I try not to buy only one of something. But sometimes it makes sense too. I have not looked on CellarTracker, but I assume you have looked there for recent tasting notes.

I think the other issue is related to taste preference. For me I would be fine waiting, as I like wines with a good deal of age, particularly Barolo. I have liked wines young, but my main concern would be are they too tight or closed at this point. And for that you need what you are seeking, someone trustworthy has tried one recently.

I hope my post spurs others with more specific info to weigh in. Good luck!

No personal experience but this is what CTers have to say about 2 of them:

Capanna - 25 users say drink 2015-2024, with 40% of holdings consumed suggest its good to go. 2006 Capanna Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino - CellarTracker

Corte Pavone - drink dates 2011-2021 but based on only 3 users, also 40% consumed. 2004 Tenuta Corte Pavone Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino - CellarTracker

agreed. I try to buy in pairs at least, unless the wine easy to get a hold of and I am trying just to see if I should buy more. These are older purchases before I had a more systematic approach.

Thanks for the response.

I’m not surprised. Fifteen years out, Brunello should be enjoyable.

I don’t know Virna, but 2009 was a warm year and reasonably accessible. Depending on your inclinations, that’s probably drinkable with a couple of hours of decanting.

Thanks for the tip. I have never noticed that % consumed portion. Seems pretty useful. Do you find this info to be fairly accurate?

My only issue with the Capanna reviews is that although everyone seems happy with it, none of the more recent reviews really describe whether they think it is at its peak and about to decline or still climbing to its peak.

thank you. So far I’m leaning towards opening the Brunellos this winter/ spring and holding the Barolo a few more years.

Accurate as far as CT represents a significant number of drinkers. When the consumed % gets into the 30-35% range it often correlates to a wine being ready. Though everyone has their own definition of ready. Looking at individual TNs by people whose palates you know is another useful option.

Awesome. Thank you. I don’t think I have monitored it enough to know whose palates are similar to mine yet, but definitely worth keeping an eye out for. I do try to keep an eye out to see if TNs are mentioning more fruit or tertiary flavors though. Thanks again.

Joe, if you do identify CTers whose notes are helpful, you can become a “fan” and have their TNs float to the top. You can also look at TNs from “Others On My Wines” from a drop-down list under “My Tasting Notes.”

great tips. I’m going to start messing with CT a bit more. I haven’t even put my wines on their, but I’m considering doing an import. I’m going to start becoming a fan immediately though. Thank you.