TN Figeac 1975

This reminded me of a dying dog that has given up and just doesn’t want to be disturbed. Some tertiary stuff, a memory of fruit, but a complete absence of brightness or excitement. Not yet dead; that may take a couple of years, but the downward trend is irreversible.

Oh - that was a wine review? I thought you were describing the denizens that hang out here… [wink.gif]

I’ve enjoyed many 75s once they finally came around. The pity was that some never did - the tannins outlived the fruit without ever attaining any sort of balance. The others that did snap into focus were excellent - the Beychevelle and Branaire drank well relatively early on and the Las cases is still very good, while the La Mission is superlative.

I like Figeac a lot and am sorry to hear that it has attended the last round up, but it isn’t entirely surprising. If you get a chance the 82 was still drinking really well the last time I tasted it.

I am fond of Figeac generally, and tasted many of their older wines. I also have had a lot of excellent 1975s from the Right Bank, so figured this combination might be special. Sad to say it was so disappointing.

cheesehead

There are much fresher bottles out there! Have faith!

What a sad note! Sorry it wasn’t all you’d hoped

Would you expect the 75 Beychevelle to still be drinking well now?

Good question. Haven’t had one for awhile now, but based on CT notes on it from tastings in the last two years I am going to say yes I would. Obviously there will be bottle variation and I expect that even a good bottle will travel a shorter arc once open than it would have even 10 years ago but everyone but one guy placed it above 90 points and the other guy may have had a poor bottle.

I have two left and will make a mental note to post a note when I do open one. I may also open a Branaire side by side with it just for old time’s sake.

It was very pleasant from half-bottle a month ago. But, all depends on storage.

Thank you guys. I am looking for a 1975 to celebrate my wife’s birthday without breaking the bank (her request!). I’ve ruled out Piedmont. Germany is a total mystery to me. The Beychevelle looks like it might be a good fit.

The La Mission is superb but also megabucks. Parker awarded it 100 points and it went into instant inflationary mode.

Shoot for Branaire, Beychevelle, Las Cases or Gruaud. The Leoville Barton is very decent too.

Some decent Sauternes if you’re looking for something to pair with dessert.

I would be looking at Right Bank especially Pomerol. I had a Nenin last year which was extremely good, and within budget. Magdelaine and Certan de May be an option but I have tasted either recently, but five years ago, they were lovely.

Sauternes would be great.

1 Like

Chris,

I’ve got more 75 Beychevelle than I will ever drink. Want one? I have other '75s too. I’m in Seattle. Just send a PM.

Had a half bottle of Nenin on my birthday that’d been well stored but it was DOA - likely bc 375ml.

Try Montrose - I’ve had really good luck with them and PLL.

Sounds like a wine I would like, lol

I’ve been working through some '83’s I came into. Really lovely stuff. Too bad about your '75; only great bottles…

Mark,
I’ve got a '45, think I should crack it ? [cheers.gif]

Well, that’s a sad note to see. I have one bottle I have ‘been saving.’

I better Audouze it soon!

Yes, it is superb.