Anybody still buying 2019?

With the excessive tariffs on wine from France, what is everybody’s strategy for buying Bordeaux?

(edited the politics out of the OP)

Sorry. That was meant to be funny. To be more specific, I know it is hard to predict if the tariffs will be revoked, but for some of these wines it may make sense to not deliver them until a different tariff regime emerges. Has this been discussed? If not drinking the wine for 10-20 years, I’d be ok waiting for them to come stateside. (And if after 10 years, tariffs are still the name of the game, I’ll probably not mind paying them as much. :smiley: )

I’m assuming (or maybe hoping) that tariffs will disappear pretty quickly after Jan 20

I’m definitely hoping, but during a pandemic, taking care of winos may not be the first agenda item.

I chose to not mess around with futures (not that I usually do, anyways). I’d rather buy off the shelf, where I know exactly what I’m paying. Furthermore, worldwide tough economy might result in pretty good shelf prices, perhaps even at, or below, futures pricing. We’ll see.

I am waiting until 1/20 at least to buy any wines that are still in Europe to make sure tariff is not increased to 100%.

wino drinkers may not be a priority, but open trade seems likely to be part of a broader change in foreign policy with europe. I bought 19 futures, and I would not have if I thought tariffs would remain in place.

What makes you think it could be increased to 100%?

Spite from the outgoing people in charge.

I have mentioned this several times in the past, but the tariffs are not magically going away on January 21. First off, the tariffs on wine are the result of a long running trade dispute, not specific policies of the current administration. There will need to be negotiations to resolve the Airbus/Boeing dispute that resulted in the WTO authorizing the US to impose tariffs on $7.5B of EU goods each year, and recently the EU to impose tariffs on $4B of US goods.

As of 1/21 there will be a new US Trade Representative. Hopefully talks will happen soon after that, but again it’s not likely to be a quick resolution.

trying to buy in the EU as much as possible for higher end wines. no need to drink 2019s for a few years anyway, so I guess I’m betting that the tariffs will be removed in the next 5 years.

lower end AOC and village selections for daily consumption, I’m just paying a bit extra. most are only 10-15% higher than last year as the importer and/or distributors are eating some of the tariff.

I bought mags of a bunch of 2019 BDX, just to secure them for my 2nd little guy.

While I don’t like that the tariffs hit wine specifically, I hope tariffs remain in place until Airbus and Boeing compete on equal footing.

I bought 2019 BDX and Burgs and they will be in storage in France, UK and HK.

Only purchased a modest amount of futures (it’s fun!). Tariffs weren’t a huge deterrent because I can always confirm/cancel my orders if they do get imposed. That said, when the 2019 Bordeaux arrives in the US, a savvy buyer can generally find better prices, especially with so many promos, cashback/CC stacking, and similar offers these days.

Bought two Saint Julien Grand Vins, one at 14.49% and the other at 14.03%. According to the retailer, neither are subject to tariffs. Don’t have a strong take on tariffs but I certainly do on the so called presidential election that just took place!

Their footing is more equal than you might have been led to believe.

Well, we got married in 2019, and it seems to be a pretty good year in some key places.

Not that the airlines and travel are dead, we will come to a sensible solution?

It’s not a case of your subsidies are wrong and ours are right?

It’s exactly what it is. Typical US “we can do it but you can’t” crap. Both companies get massive subsidies.