Walter Scott has raised the bar for how wineries interact with their clients during Covid with their 2019 barrel tasting

Since Walter Scott isn’t taking groups for tasting right now they decided to try out a virtual method of having people barrel taste their 2019 vintage.

This is definitely next level - they offered 100 tasting kits filled with their nine 2019 SVD wines with snacks. I guess I wasn’t expecting much but this package is incredible! Attention to detail is great
Nine 4oz containers of their SVD wines. Cheese, meats, pickles, jams from Spatzle & Speck. Tasting note booklet tech sheets. Really looking forward to the tasting tomorrow.

Any other wineries doing something like this to interact with their customers during covid?
1111111.jpeg

1 Like

You are not kidding. That is some next level stuff.

Is WB pushing Walter Scott now? Todd had a very similar post [snort.gif] Honestly really disappointed I didn’t jump on this…

Looking forward to this!

Wow. Very impressive.

The closest I’ve seen was this from the Historic Vineyard Society. I’m not driving to Sonoma to pick it up though- a shipping option would have been awesome.

Kudos to Walter Scott.
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 6.42.40 PM.png
Dunno why that’s blurry, but here’s the test if you prefer:

We’ve missed you!

While we await the day we can once again taste and tour vineyards in person, we’re excited to announce a special opportunity to taste the wines of Pagani Ranch and explore this legendary Sonoma Valley vineyard – virtually.

Pagani Ranch Virtual Tasting
hosted by Certified Sommelier & Wine Director at Sonoma’s Best, Todd Jolly

Thursday, December 17th
from 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm

This virtual tasting will feature wines from Bedrock Wine Co., Ridge Vineyards, Robert Biale Vineyards and Seghesio Family Vineyards.

$35 per person - limited availability!
Includes tasting kit with four wines and Zoom link to our virtual tasting and panel discussion.

Tasting kits will be available for pickup only the morning of December 17th at Sonoma’s Best, located at 1190 E Napa St, Sonoma, CA 95476.

Definitely hate to miss this one! Got an email from Erica around noon eastern time today letting me know that FedEx contacted her and that our tasting kit was “damaged severely during shipping and was destroyed”. To their credit, she said that they tried to get another one out today for Saturday delivery, but it wasn’t feasible because the bottling line was running. Please share the results of how the wines are showing and how the Zoom call goes tomorrow. Definitely not anything that was in their control, just another case of FedEx screwing up another shipment that I get from Oregon. Chalk something else up to 2020! Cheers to everyone.

Just heard about this on the Berserkers Zoom tonight. For sure innovative idea. Hopefully they sell some wines and get new customers.

This was targeted to current customers on the email list. You had to pay $150 per pack so I’m guessing if they weren’t already buying it they wouldn’t have done the barrel tasting package.

Sold out in a few hours

for those of you that got the barrel tasting kit, i HIGHLY recommend opening it a few hours in advance and pouring 1oz off before tasting. the wines are starving for oxygen since they were pulled from tank - they open up significantly over time. I tasted around 2oz from each of the nine bottlings and the last pour as always was the best pour, showed more fruit and density in all the wines

Awesome. Could not do the tasting and now regret it!

This is really impressive. I wish more wineries would do this type of thing, pandemic or no pandemic.

I have always bemoaned the fact that most winery clubs offer perks to locals or people who can make weekend trips to the winery for things like barrel tastings. Being on the east coast and having a few small kids doesn’t make jumping on a plane to go across country for an event practical. I’d gladly pay a $100 for this type of experience brought to my front door.

TW

It’s too bad none of the “festivals” (la fiesta, le paulee) could do something like this, though understandably it’s much harder to do with already bottled wines.

Regulators would likely put a stop to it.

I was blown away when I opened the box. Cannot wait for this event! @Charlie - great suggestion on opening them up ahead of time.

Were there different prices for different people? I’m not wolfpack and the offer was $150 for us.

i was really hoping this was how Antonio was going to do the tastings for La Festa del Piemonte this year. With all of the tastings requiring purchases of the entire lineup of full bottles, the price is kind of extravagant. seems silly when the whole thing is being done online. being online, would have been a great chance to let a ton of people experience the event. Not to mention the fact that Im not super keen on opening $4000 worth of wine for my wife and I to drink on Zoom.

Sorry 150. They had 100 packs at 150. Very late at night and I had tasted through all the wines already (albeit only half of each)

No excuses :blush:

Yeah, apparently Charlie is too busy to read my post on the same topic. [snort.gif]