California Chardonnay Can Age Beautifully

2004 Hartford Court Three Jacks Vineyard Chardonnay got pushed to the back of storage and I really did not know what to expect. Light golden color it did not exhibit any overt oak. The profile was one of honeyed tropical fruit. A real delight to experience. I have been a fan of Hartford Court Chardonnays for a long time but this is the oldest one that I’ve ever had. How nice that this demonstrated this longevity.

and you don’t have to worry for premox [snort.gif]

I’m too impatient. I drink a lot of Cal Chard. So hard to lay down and wait. I did recently put a mixed crate of Aubert, Peter Michael, and Kistler towards the back of my cellar underneath a lot of other crates to keep me from just grabbing them, I do like Hartford Court wines too. Maybe I can find older ones at auction. Now I do buy those old Kalin Chards when I can find them.

This was part of the Mike Sullivan era there when they were definitely at the top of their form. Those were some amazing wines and I’m glad this one has lasted. I haven’t followed them much recently but it’s the same fruit and vineyards…

There are still some '70s and '80s CA Chards showing beautifully.

Any thoughts on how long some of the Ramey single vineyard chards can go?

He made killer Chard and Zin…wasn’t much of a fan of the Pinot Noirs. Highwire, Dina’s, Fanucchi Road, and Hartford Zin were always awesome as was 3 Jack’s and 4 Hearts Chards.

Kris,

The Zins were always my favorite, the Pinots were nice for near term drinking but I never thought they’d age well.

Late 90 Marcassin are still magnificent wines…all about Provenance

Anathema!

2 words: Stoney Hill. I’ve had 40 yr old SH that was lovely. And of course let’s not forget Kalin Cellars.

Marcassin, Kistler, Aubert, Dumol, plenty of great old Cali chards

I’ve been a lurker here for a creepily long time, but I’ll pop my first-post cherry on this.

Mike Sullivan’s chardonnays do tend to be lengthy and elegant. Of course I am biased because I make them with him here at Benovia.

We opened an '81 Chalone a few weeks ago for lunch. Surprisingly taut, tense, and complex, and stole some thunder from an '09 Benovia chardonnay that was in sublimely lovely form.

I was going to cite Chalone. I picked up an old bottle (80s, I think) a couple of years ago at Chambers Street, and it was excellent.

I’d be curious, too. They are always balanced and have good acidity, and I know Dave Ramey has done research on oxidation in chardonnays (there are a couple of great interviews with him on the topic on YouTube), so I’d guess they will go the distance.

I wouldn’t agree about every producer mentioned in this thread. But some are spot on. A couple not yet mentioned are Hanzell and Mt Eden. This one blew me away with it’s fresh power a couple months back. It was really stunning just how not old this drank like. Mature but so powerful.

• 1995 Mount Eden Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains (9/9/2020)
    Cork shows ingress up about a quarter all the way around. Color makes you pause getting towards bronze. But damn if this isn’t expressive. Barely showing any oxidation but very mature nonetheless. Broad, loud sweet Meyer lemon on the nose and palate with some ripe apricot. So rich and big still. Some notes of yellow apple, honey. Hints of butterscotch. Fairly fat fruited with just enough acidity to keep this lively. Terrific. Really really impressive for just how big and expressive this is 25 years in.

Posted from CellarTracker

Brewer-Clifton Sweeney Canyon and Mount Carmel, I had them both after 12 years of aging and both were fresh and vibrant

Mayacamas chardonnay ages quite well.

If you enjoy aged CA Chard you should source a bottle of Kalin Chardonnay. Not something I would want everyday but a very interesting expression of CA Chardonnay. I believe that most of their Chardonnay is 20+ years past vintage when released.

Agreed - Stony Hill ages beautifully. I’d add Dehlinger to the list, but it’s a different style than Stony Hill.

1 Like