Jeb Dunnuck's Top 100 Wines of the Year

At least I can say I have some of these compared to the Spectator top 100.

#1 2018 Domaine De La Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Hauts-Lieux

1 Like

I have some of these as well. His palate and mine align better too. Lots of Cali Rhône’s and Southern Rhône’s.

Agreed. At least for wines I am familiar with (and in some case own), I like his list better as well.

But, they also focus on different regions to some extent.

Yeah, he scores higher than I do, but otherwise I think we have very similar tastes, especially compared to Wine Spectator. I’m happy to see the Dragonette John Sebastiano Syrah on there – it’s an excellent wine.

Does he not drink white wine?

I wouldn’t have a single 2017 Bordeaux in my top 100.

I believe his lists are 100 top red wines, but it isn’t always clearly indicated.

Dude dropping max scores like NBA dunk contest judges.

2 Likes

LOL I was going to say the same thing. Wonder if he posts a white wine lists then.

In any case, some variety on a number of axes.

Exactly the same as WS - 3/100 for me, though all three are different. Congrats to Paul and Halcon for a nice spot on the list (one of my three, natch’)!.

None of the 2018 Domaine De La Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf Du Pape Les Hauts-Lieux is available on Wine-Searcher. Either its not available yet or some retailer just blew thru 40 cases of it as soon as this list came out.

Lots of love for SBC Rhones - good to see. And note the pricing on most of them - some of the lowest on the list with a few exceptions. I’ll say it again - and yes, I am a ‘cheerleader’ for our area - but the QPRs continue to be very good from SBC . . .

Cheers.

3 Likes

I found at least one white on this list: #30 2019 Guigal Condrieu La Doriane

Edit: #94 as well. A chard from Morlet.

And a Condrieu from Vernay.

Paul

Good catch with those whites. It’s hard to trust a “best of” list with almost no whites, but I think he primarily reviews reds, so he probably focused on those…

5 with 3 in the top 11. 2 on on WS100.

Probably double that for wines of other vintages. I haven’t picked up much recent CdP or Bdx yet, waiting for sales or wine.com coupons.

Vernay Condrieu at #59 is a white and Couteau de Vernon is an incredibly delicious bottling.

EDIT: Doh. Didn’t see Paul’s post

Anyone ever compare the Rivers-Marie Summa Vineyard Old Vine to the regular Summa Vineyard Pinot? Just picked up a bottle of the latter.

Is it palate alignment or a fact of what he covers?

maybe nitpicky, but while I like his areas of coverage, his palate is more tolerant of over the top wines than mine for sure.

I’m curious on this one too.

Slightly aligned to the conversation here and on the WS list (which I found very uninformative/helpful). Is there a critic or “wine rater” that is an “up and comer” who you would trust or find interesting to put together a list? Second, given there is a bias towards LARGE producers, would it not be useful or fun to do a TOP 50 of producers who are smaller (perhaps under x? cases)? Seems like more time is spent on grocery store volume where most (not all) wines I enjoy come from smaller producers who never get on list. Thoughts?