young wines

Just wondering what wines others actually prefer young.

Am I a complete exception that I drink 20-30% of my Brunellos young, often even upon release? Or do others feel the same? I do prefer them much older and well after the dried fig flavor really takes over the tart cherry, but I also often love them young, after a very long decant.

Southern Rhone Grenache heavy wines (excluding CdP) I actually prefer very young while the primary fruits are still dominant. Does this resonate for anyone else?

(I just rechecked the % on my Brunellos. I was way off. I have drank 12% of my 2013-2015 Brunellos.)

Define ‘young.’

I just mean wines that are still more heavy on primary flavors/ aromas, without any tertiary coming in yet.

I prefer mature, but can play with young.

My percentage is like yours, maybe I am at 15% “young?”

Is that Brunello specifically as well or just in general?

In particular these are a few wines that I usually like or plan to drink a few bottles early.
(1-2 years from release)
Beaucastel CdP
Barolo or barbaresco
Red Burgundy
OR Pinot
Musar

1 Like

In general, even whites! [cheers.gif]

Muscadet young

1 Like

Zin and field blends, in particular, definitely.

I’ve been thinking about pulling a 2015 Sassetti to pair with Christmas prime rib and this may be the push I needed. Think 3 hour decant is enough? Small sample size, but the recent CT note sounds like a good time!

Haven’t had the 2015, but I had the 2013 on 5/5/2019 and I was very happy with it young, but even more optimistic for around 2030. I think 3 hour decant might still be a little short especially if it will be around cellar temp. If you plan on leaving it in the decanter and drinking it over 2-3 hours, a 3 hour decant might be perfect though so you can see the changes over the next 2-3.

Schiava should always be drunk young, like in the first year.

It made me giggle to see this on your list on a “drink young” thread (I know what you meant, but still).

\

Off-Topic Ramblings: I was 18-19 years old when I first encountered Chateau Musar (early in my retail days). My initial reaction, spotting this “new” product on our wine rack at ~5 years after the labelled vintage date, was total confusion.

I asked my manager if he’d been conned into some bait-and-switch. I was convinced - there was no way this was the current vintage. How innocent I was; how absolutely self-assured I was in my youthful ignorance.

popped another young Brunello tonight.

2015 Siro Pacenti Brunello di Montalcino Pelagrilli

30 min in the bottle before sampling.
2 hour decant
3 hours before starting the last glass

Although I enjoyed this young, there is not enough sweetness to justify drinking so young and such good structure that I wont open any of my last 3 until 2030. Now is the only chance to drink it young. Would be a waste between 2022-2026 imo. I enjoyed it, but mostly just more excited to try it again in a decade.

= Immature?

I suspect this may be producer dependant as well as grape / region. Not really sure where to start.

I love to drink reds burgs young before they shut down

Based on this, I would have to say, prefer? None.

Maybe my exception would be domestic Pinot and NZ SB

exactly… I dont mean so much young in age, but young in its period of maturation. Immature might even be a better word, if it didnt come with a negative connotation. I usually think “youthful” vs “mature”. Sometimes we don’t even get to experience the “young” period for some wines because they are released so far down the road, but the aromas and flavors tend to be consistent when considering region and varietal, and its just the year that it is hitting its “young” peak that varies.

The flavors of a young Sauternes are consistently different than a mature Sauternes, but the specific age that would be considered “young” can vary by producer and vintage. So the question is more about whether anyone prefers the citrus and honey of a young Sauternes more than (or as much as) the butterscotch and caramel of a mature one. Or with Sangiovese, the tart cherry and cranberry over the dried fig and hazelnut.

I don’t have enough experience with aged Pinot, especially from Burgundy, but I was curious if some would feel like that.

Opening 1996 Domaine Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Les Toussaints soon to hopefully learn a bit.

Any reason not Pinot from Burgundy?

I tend to prefer younger Burg. I have enjoyed wines most would call infanticide and tend to prefer even my aged Burg still on the upswing of the curve. I don’t have as much experience with really mature Burgs, but even the ones I’ve had haven’t been my favorites.

Piedmont and Bdx on the other hand, much much better the older they get.