TNs: mini New World blind tasting (2005 Don Melchor, and others)

A mini New World blind tasting. The Don Melchor was light years ahead of the rest.

2017 Mount Veeder Winery Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 30 min. before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. 40 minutes –

NOSE: Ripe, dark fruits; a touch oaky; mushroom.

BODY: garnet-violet color of deep depth; medium-full bodied.

TASTE: oak; oak tannins; red-purple fruits, leaning red; guessing young Bdx. blend. 2/5 rating.

2017 Buehler Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (11/13/2020)
– cork pulled approx. one hour before tasting –

NOSE: oaky; violets; fumey (alcohol).

BODY: garnet-violet color of medium-deep depth; {forgot to note weight}

TASTE: red-fruited; oaky; a bit spicy/spiky; some tannins; more red-fruited than #1 (2017 Mt. Veeder – Napa Cab). 1/5 rating.

2018 Leviathan - USA, California (11/13/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 1.5 hours before tasting –
– blend of Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Syrah, Petite Sirah, and Cabernet Franc –

NOSE: complex; “dark”; hints of leather and something earthy.

BODY: garnet color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: tobacco; ripe red fruits; black licorice; very big wine, but I liked it. The last glass remaining in the bottle was moderately oxidized two days later. 4/5 rating.

2005 Concha y Toro Cabernet Sauvignon Don Melchor - Chile, Maipo Valley, Puente Alto (11/13/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 2 hours before tasting –

NOSE: expressive; cherry; mineral; red licorice ropes.

BODY: medium bodied; dark color with slight bricking throughout.

TASTE: a bit spiky; leather; hints of pine and smoke/cigar; dark-fruited; in a nice spot now, but still on its upswing. My favorite of the tasting, by quite a bit. 5/5 rating.

Thanks Brian. I bought a few Melchor’s years ago and still have a few from '98, '99 & '01. Buried somewhere deep (I know where, just don’t get to that rack often). I suppose I should pull one or two to check on them. The little I’ve heard is they purportedly don’t evolve as much as many other cabs of similar age. Don’t have enough experience to know this myself.

Was interested from the headline. Was disappointed for years by all the expert rave reviews on Don Melchor.

IMO those wines are undrinkable without a four hour decant and then it is a little hit or miss based on viNtage

Would be curious what others think

Brian a rating out of 5?

Yeah. We were keeping it simple.

I don’t have enough experience, either, as I’ve only ever purchased and tasted the '04 and '05. For the longest time, the '05 was clearly not ready; it’s finally in the front of its prime window, imo. I finished-up my '04’s last year, and that seems to be at its youthful peak. Don Melchor is a wine I stopped buying when the price became equivalent to, if not greater than, many of my preferred Bordeauxs.

I had the 2005 Don Melchor about 3 months ago and loved it! I immediately bought another bottle. Great wine in a great place.

Don Melchor in that 10-20 year old range really delivers well.

Don Melchor in a 3-5 range is also delicious.

John Glas wrote: ↑Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:17 pm
Brian a rating out of 5?
Yeah. We were keeping it simple.

Can you do ten so it is easier for me to multiply by 10 to get the 100 point system? neener

Sure. 7/10.

I am a big fan of Don Melchor; I had the opportunity to talk to Enrique Tirado; the wine maker. They have been constantly working hard to improve the wine. Last weekend I opened a 2000 and it was drinking really well. I have some “old” vintages but must of what I have is newer; have been getting it from Costco for around 79 bucks

I read 2018 is a great wine. A friend in Brazil had it this week and said it was amazing; I am afraid that it will try to catch up in pricing with almaviva (120-150) which will lead me to reconsider it…

What I like about DM is I often find it very balanced. Silky finish; tannins and acidity are right. The 2000 was a 93-94pts; recent ones range well around 95-96 (James Suckling just gave 2018 a 100)