TNs: mini blind Old World tasting (whereupon Flaccianello falls squarely on its face)

Mini Old World blind tasting. The 2015 Grand Mayne second wine was stellar, and was the across-the-board favorite among all 8 tasters, garnering ratings of 4/5 or 5/5 from everyone. I liked it a lot, and subsequently purchased half a case. Another wonderful surprise was the 2016 Barolo from Paolo Manzone, which was my second place wine — I went on to buy four of those. The 2012 Ardal was a throwaway for me, but it was much better than the 2011 Flaccianello, which was downright wretched.

A few words on the Flaccianello: most of this group enjoyed a bottle of the same vintage a couple years ago, and we loved it; I bought 2 bottles after that tasting, and it was one of those two that I contributed to this tasting. This bottle showed completely differently than the bottle from 2 years ago — came across as an entirely different wine. If I was doing my usual scoring, I’m not sure my score would have even made it to 80 points. It was simply terrible. I guess I’ll just keep holding my other bottle, because it is apparently a fruitless endeavor to be opening it now.

2015 Château Grand Mayne Filia de Grand Mayne - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (11/15/2020)
– cork pulled at least an hour before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. 40 minutes –
– 80% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Franc, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon –

NOSE: medium+ expressiveness; cherry; hint of leather.

BODY: brilliant garnet color with slight bricking throughout; medium depth.

TASTE: tannic; a bit oaky; garrigue gentle on the back end; comes across as mid-aged; a bit warming in the belly; a touch smoky. rating: 5/5. Was very surprised at the reveal, and went on to purchase 6 bottles.

2011 Fontodi Flaccianello della Pieve Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT - Italy, Tuscany, Colli della Toscana Centrale IGT (11/15/2020)
– double decanted shortly before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. 40 minutes –

NOSE: alcoholic; young-smelling; red-fruited.

BODY: ruby color of great depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: tannic; high acidity; red-fruited (strawberry); alcoholic; not good at all; had it pegged as a poorly-done $20 wine; gobsmacked at the reveal. Rating: 1/5. Easily the worst wine of the mini blind tasting (and probably cost as much as the other three bottles combined, which goes to show you that more $$$ does not always equate to a better wine).

2016 Paolo Manzone Barolo Serralunga d’Alba - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (11/15/2020)
– cork pulled at least 90 minutes before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. 40 min. –

NOSE: sugary strawberry/watermelon mix; clean; a touch savory; hints of mineral and red licorice.

BODY: light garnet color of medium-light depth with slight bricking; medium-light bodied.

TASTE: tannic; red-fruited; Barbaresco? 2016 Barbaresco? I like this a lot, but it needs lots of time. My second-favorite of the mini blind tasting. I subsequently purchased 4 bottles. Rating: 4/5.

2012 Ardal Tradicion Ribera del Duero Reserva - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (11/15/2020)
– cork pulled approx. 2 hours before tasting –
– tasted blind over approx. 30 minutes –

NOSE: caramel; oak; hint of leather.

BODY: garnet-violet color of medium to medium-deep depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: young; oaky; earthy; dark-fruited; good acidity; alcohol pokes-through a bit; somewhat anonymous. Was surprised to see an 8 yo wine at the reveal — thought it was younger. Rating: 3/5.

Oh No!! Not the Falccianello…

I hate saying “sounds like a bad bottle” but it sounds like a bad bottle. I have drunk a lot of Flaccianello over the years, and it’s always delicious at a minimum. Current pricing sucks though.

Me too. And while it evolves considerably over time, I’ve never seen one be in a shut down phase or anything, so I wouldn’t think it was that.

But who the hell really knows. It’s wine.

David/Chris,

I sincerely hope that’s what was going on. Here I am, weeks later, and I’m still bewildered by it.

Thank you for the notes. I have some of the manzone, glad to hear it was a good buy.