TNs: Some Italian wines

Some of us got together for an Italian night over dinner, highlights were the Produttori and the Franciacorta still white for me.

• 2013 Bellavista Curtefranca Uccellanda - Italy, Lombardia, Curtefranca DOC (17/12/2020)
    From Franciacorta, a region more famous for sparkling wine. Fresh and aromatic, if blinded I would have guessed Jura Chard because of the honeyed note and waxy texture. Became more Burg-like with air. The oak use here actually gave it a very good backbone. Lovely wine and stood up well to spicy food.
  • 1997 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (17/12/2020)
    On the gentle downslope. On the nose it was tertiary, showing damp forest floor. Aged Brunello notes of tobacco and tea leaves, and the fruit was a little too dried and stewed for my liking.
  • 2004 Lazzeretti Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (17/12/2020)
    Slightly off-bottle as the person who brought it said the previous one was showing much better. Faulty cork I suppose, slightly oxidized and advanced with soy and balsamic notes.
  • 2008 Giuseppe Quintarelli Valpolicella Classico Superiore - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Valpolicella Classico Superiore (17/12/2020)
    Preferred this when it first opened, it was more elegant with a silky texture despite the rich and ripe fruit. With air, it became more alcoholic and had that raisined note that I don’t quite like. Still, an excellent wine that feels like it has a long way to go.
  • 2011 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pajè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (17/12/2020)
    Popped and poured this because I was afraid this might shutdown midway through dinner. Instead, it was reticent and only started singing two hours in. Traditional producer but curiously showed quite modern with a voluptuous texture and lots of vanilla on the nose. Rose petals, exuberant red fruit with very good persistence on the palate. Tannins more noticeable at the start, but softened up with time. Certainly approachable, no harm opening this now while waiting for the more structured crus and vintages.

1 Like

Vanilla in PdB does sound really weird, seeing how they use only huge, old oak botti. Of course they need to replace one or few every now and then, so it is always a possibility that a Riserva might be aged in a botte that has been replaced recently.

However, p’n’p with a traditional Barbaresco is often a shortcut to disappointment! Can’t remember ever having a Produttori shutting down after opening - they usually just take time to pick up their speed.

Yes I was surprised as well at this showing, no one could guessed a traditional maker from how it was showing. And cheers for the advice, decided to err on the side of caution after reading a couple of posts on here saying the young Nebbiolo can be good on PnP but go into hibernation with air. Will give more air to the next Nebbiolo that I open for sure!

2011 was a pretty ripe year, so the voluptuous texture isn’t surprising. I wasn’t a fan of the vintage, but the Produttori riservas were well balanced.

The vanilla is surprising!

Yes, the vanilla was surprising. Almost as much as the “honeyed note” on Jura chardonnay, though.

Really cool to see a note on the Bellavista Curtefranca! Haven’t had this particular bottling but had the “S. S. Annunciata” once by the glass at SPQR and the 2001 once from a random wine shop in Trieste. Was very impressed both times–spectacular chards with a bit of savory. Haven’t been able to find any in the US since, but sounds like maybe I should also look for the Uccellanda.

Thanks for the input John, perhaps Otto’s explanation would make sense, never had this with the other couple of Produttoris that I’ve tried before either.

Was looking at where I got this impression from - might have been a function of the vintage since my experiences were with 15 and 18!

Definitely worth seeking out! Very different expression of the grape but delicious nonetheless.

Definitely worth seeking out! Very different expression of the grape but delicious nonetheless.
[/quote]

Sounds really nice! I’ve never seen any still wines from Bellavista, but was impressed several years ago by the 2009 Curtefranca Chardonnay from Bellavista’s Franciacorta arch-rival Ca’ del Bosco… Will definitely keep an eye open for the Uccellanda.