2018 Failla Occidental Ridge

I’ve been pretty poor about posting notes recently, with the exception of a couple champagnes, but this wine was absolutely slamming.

2018 Failla Occidental Ridge Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir - The nose is fresh with a beautiful floral note backed by bright red cherry, that sweet but tart Thanksgiving cranberry sauce smell, and spicy potpourri. The palate has nice complexity and a solid core of bright red cherry driven fruit, blackberry, that floral note, and a spicy pop that ties it all together. Importantly, its wonderful fruit is not overly sweet, and the spine of acid on this wine is stout. Because of the acid, the wine keeps its verve and freshness and has a clean bright finish. This is, to me, about as well balanced as California pinot noir gets. I absolutely loved it. This was in that 95-96 range, and hands down one of the better pinot noirs I’ve had in recent memory. I went back to the well and bought a case of it this morning.

After it died, we popped the following:

2018 Peay Pomarium Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir The same light floral note is present on this wine, but it’s fruit notes are decidedly darker. This smells more of blueberries and black berry jam, with a hint of five spice. A denser, darker wine that the Failla, but not as expressive or balanced. Almost a little shut down. The stuffing is there for a bold, well structured Sonoma Coast pinot noir, but it’s not popping against the competition. Maybe hold this for a while. 92-93 zone.

I think I would have been happy with the Peay, but after the Failla, it really was a distant second and a bit disappointing.

Thanks for posting. Their 18 line up got high praise from AG. I bought a mixed case earlier this summer but haven’t tried any. I’ve got Occidental, Failla and RM’s versions from this area. Time to try one of them soon.