'82 Ducru-Beaucaillou

Has anyone had recent experience with this wine? I opened one bottle of two in the cellar two years ago and was astonished at how dark the color still was and how fierce the tannins. I might have taken it for an '86, but never an '82. I sometimes think that I occasionally buy wine at auction that has been too well stored at a very low temperature and so does not evolve at the pace once would expect. Same thought about a '98 Palmer drunk earlier this year. Nose enticing, but extremely tannic. I don’t think of having to wait more than 22 years for a wine from Margaux.

Thanks for any thoughts.

'82 Ducru is an excellent wine. Last one I had was maybe a year ago and drinking beautifully. The only 82s I’ve had which I didn’t think were ready is the Mouton and LLC. Probably haven’t had either though for maybe 4 or 5 years now.

I had it at Alinea in Chicago last year as part of their fancy-dancy pairings and it was in a wonderful spot. Fruit was still quite robust but was nicely developed. Tannins fully resolved.

David,

Pulling one from my cellar now, removing the cork, pouring into a decanter, rinsing the bottle and pouring the D/B back into its’ original bottle, and gently, partially replacing the cork, trying to retain aroma. Will drink in six hours. Will comment latter. Hopefully, not corked!

I also have very much enjoyed the 82 Ducru a couple of times over the past few years.

For me, the LLC 82 is now quite enjoyable and really good, although it still may get better.

Many other 82s I have had over the past four or five years, while still excellent, seem to be tasting more and more alike.

Now that’s what I call service. Well played.

Pulled the cork, broke in the middle, red stain half-way up. Always interesting to compare corks, as there are various lengths and quality! Have a wood picket fence that has not performed as well as this cork. Of course, at 35 years of age, most of us began the downward progression. So, a tip of the hat to this cork!

No TCA, took wine temperature with a digital food thermometer, 49 degrees. Returned the bottle to the cellar.

Thirty minutes prior to drinking, placed the bottle on the dining table to gradually warm.

Color was purplish, dark red color, NO bricking at the edge, full bodied with slightly tannic nuance. Its’ youthfulness is surprising.

This wine had great balance, a very slight sweetness, dark/black fruit flavors and should last another twenty to twenty five years!

Had to caution my wife that this D/B was a fifty/fifty bottle!

This wine/year, represents what cellaring is all about! Yes it’s costly to commit capital to, but the result may be worth all the issues to you! Purchased on release.

Caveat emptor, I love very mature, silky, profoundly aged flavors that only time can create!

So David, your experience is exactly, in my opinion, what the wine should be, when properly cellared!

This Spring, I bought quite a bit of the 1982 Ducru from a cold Alsace cellar where it had been stored since release. To me, these bottles are about a decade away from full maturity. The tannins are ripe and refined, but the wine is still rather primary and not yet offering its full aromatic and textural plenitude.

By contrast, most of the bottles I have had of this wine in the USA, which have travelled and circulated more, have been fully mature…

Donn,
Thank you very much for your description. Now if I can only manage to live long enough!

Had one a couple months ago. Found it showing very well, not all all tired. great color. We felt it certainly can go longer but was in a very nice spot now.

My favorite Bdx right now for QPR is 2000 Ducru. I stocked up on a couple of cases recently. Haven’t found any good offers for 82 with good provenance, but will definitely jump at them.

Agree with William, well stored bottles have a ways to go. I bought a case in 2006 that was sourced by a local importer in a late release directly from the Chateau cellar. I’ve opened 1/2 of them so far, all have been great but for my palate struck me as young and needing time. I haven’t opened one in in a few years after vowing to hold off until they reach age 40. Thanks for the note and perspective, I’m going to stick to my vow and revisit in 2022.

1 Like

David,

Good that the wines you have gotten at auction have been well stored!

Much better than the opposite.

Thanks for the notes. I bought a case in March of 2019 and have only opened one bottle and thought it was drinking beautifully. You’ve all inspired me to do my best to continue to be patient with the rest . . .