TN:2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Caillerets

Posted from CellarTracker

I have tasted many of the Ramonet 2017s including the Ruchottes. No Batard or Chevalier or Montrachet however. This is by far the best to me. Not enough superlatives.

So, Ramonet whites and Ramonet reds. It is a shame they don’t also make a sparkling wine and a sweet wine so we could just stay with Ramonet all night long.

1 Like

Ramonet is making great wine right now.

yep. 14 and 17 killed it. Can’t keep my hands off them.

Nice. I’m planning to open a 2017 Bienvenues over the holidays. Agree with Alan, and for me most producers killed it in 14 and 17. What a pair of years!

I completely agree…The Les Caillerets is also a notch better than the Clos du Caillerets in 2017.

The last time I tasted it was this Summer, time to crack a new bottle!

Absolutely. Is Jean-Claude doing a better job than his father or am I just drinking more of their wines these days?

I will say this. These days, no wine that I open gets as big a positive nod from my wife than a Ramonet red.

Howard.
Jean-Claude and Noel’s grandfather Pierre was one of the best wine makers ever. The two brothers split things now for tax/inheritance purposes. I am not sure who is making the wine. For a long while it was Noel with his brother working in the vineyard and doing some tasks. I know Jean-Claude seems to be more involved all the way around now. I am highly likely however to be wrong here since this kind of information is not easy to come by at times.

It’s more that Noël has retired. Jean-Claude purchases Noël’s share of the fruit from Noël’s part of the domaine holdings and makes all the wines.

To me, the style evolved around the millennium, becoming a bit richer and softer. But I didn’t notice any meaningful change since Noël’s retirement that’s attributable to more than vintage variation.

And Don, yes, Pierre Ramonet was one of the greatest winemakers Burgundy has known! But he was the grandfather of Jean-Claude and Noël, remember!

Was Pierre Ramonet the one who told spurrier to put any of their wines in the judgment of Paris because it didn’t matter?

Have they fixed their pox problem? I refused to buy again after pouring a case of 01 bbm down the sink.

Thanks, I know Pierre was legendary, but what about Andre? The wines have always been outstanding, but it seems like they have gotten even better over the past several years (I am comparing to the wines make 10-20 years ago or so). Maybe, it is just that I have been drinking 2014s.

Those 2014s are so good Howard.

Thanks William. I couldn’t remember Noel’s and Jean-Claude’s dad’s name. I know he was supposedly great but I have no idea how much of the old mans hands were in the winemaking at that time. I know that Pierre was great. BTW, your session was fabulous with Todd and Fu. Excellent.

2 Likes

This was rather good when consumed last month. Amazing longevity for such a humble wine. Claude was Pierre’s brother by the way. He had no children
9C2CCFD8-F835-40F1-828F-E685639E23D4.jpeg

1 Like

You’re supposed to be saving the white CMs as well as the reds for my next trip…

Probably my favorite vintage that I have had for white burgundy.

1 Like

Definitely my favourite! Not had a single one that wasn’t the best vintage of that wine I’ve had.

2 Likes