Côte-Rôtie under 100$.

Hello everyone. Stumbled across this great forum and have a question for all of you.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for great Côte-Rôtie under 100$?

I have tasted some iconic wines from the Côte-Rôtie in the last couple of years. But as i am starting to build my own collection i could use some suggestions in this price range.

1 Like

Guigal d’ampuis, xavier gerard, levet are some

Thank you.

Actually just bought six bottles of Levet’s Maestria (im based in Europe) 2016 for the cellar.

Will check out Xavier Gerard.

Young Levet definitely needs time in a cellar. Although they don’t use much new oak, it can still show quite a bit in younger wines. We had a 2017 Peroline this summer and it had a rather obvious vanillary edge.

But if you are based in Europe, you should find quite a bit of stuff around 50€. 100€ is quite expensive for a Rotie, this side of the pond.

And Gerard is definitely good.

Thank you Otto.

I know there is a lot to pick from at that price range. But it was more to sort out posts suggesting the La La La’s and so on.

And yes i am based in Europa. A fun side note: i just named my two month old son Otto! :slightly_smiling_face:

You can find d’ampuis for under $100? It’s regularly $120-160 retail for me.

Barge and Billon.

Of course in the past we would say Benetiere but the domaine seems to be having some unanswered questions with recent vintages.

2 Likes

Being in Europe I believe Jamet is much more affordable. I would try to get as much of it possible in different years.

Eric Texier. The '01 I had last month was my Rhone WOTY. Picked it up for <$50.

2 Likes

All I know is every d’ampuis I bought was below $100 usd.

Then I’d definitely second D’Ampuis at that price point. At 120-140 it can be a bit harder to pull the trigger.

Levet is my favorite in this price range.

Jean-Luc Jamet Côte-Rôtie Les Terrasses Is damn nice as well, check out 2016 for sure. Champet makes some classic Côte-Rôtie, but based on the CT notes for 2015, evidently avoid the HOT years. I loved 2012. Texier is interesting as well, but I cannot say that I find it to be classic CR, more acid and red-fruit driven.

Is Benetiere now gone? That was my 1-2 with Levet in the sub-$100 market.

1 Like

love Domaine Faury and their Cote Rotie is well under $100. more in the $60 ballpark

I was just going to suggest Faury. Their 2015 is worth a little effort to see if it might still be on some sluggish retailer’s shelf.

Thanks.

Bought a few Le Combard (2016) from Barge a few weeks ago. Will check out Billon.

I love Jamet. It is one of my favorite domaines in the world. Sadly they have become pretty hard to track down and the prices seems to have taken quite a jump in the last few years. I do buy a lot of Jamet’s CDR which shines after a few years.

I have been lucky enough to taste Jamet’s Côte-Rôtie in 1995, 1996, 1997(2x), 2008 and 2016 within the last two years.
It is one of the reason’s for my love for the Northern Rhone wines.

Had Jean-Luc Jamet on my radar for some time. Only heard good things about the 2016. But he uses like 50% new oak right? But maybe it is time to buy a few bottles.

1 Like

Thanks! Will check it out.

Burgaud and Gallet are two others.

1 Like

Stephane Ogier and Rene Rostaing both make great “entry level” Cote Roties in the $50-60 range. I find the 2014-2015s of both are drinking pretty well now but I’m sure a few more years in the cellar doesn’t hurt either.

Both producers are fairly traditional, FYI.