I swear they put Mustard in the bottle.

Has a wine ever only had an odd overwhelming one note taste or smell in a particular wine?

I’ve never encountered this before but when we opened up a bottle of 2018 Enderle & Moll Müller-Thurgau Muller, all I could decipher from the nose and palate was Mustard! It’s the weirdest thing I’ve ever tasted and I do In fact love Mustard. This was so strong though that I couldn’t even approach it past curiosity sake because I couldn’t hardly believe it. It’s like squeezing 10x liquid Mustard Extract into my mouth [barf1.gif]

It’s certainly just me because My wife couldn’t even taste a hint of it and thought it was a pretty good/interesting Wine.

Ian d’Agata is very good at describing why certain grapes / wines show particular aromas or flavours, but referencing the aromatic compounds present in the wine that give rise to them. His Native Grapes book well worth a read if this stuff interests you.

on a similar note, I recently had an 02 Fourrier Gevrey Aux Echezeaux that reeked of dill

Someone once brought a Sauternes I didn’t recognize to dinner and it was like breathing mustard gas; eye-watering and tasted like gross curry when I managed to take a sip. Never had anything else like that since.

Maybe they were eating knockwurst when bottling and the condiments got too close to the bottling line??

Ha, sounds like a Seinfeld episode plot. [rofl.gif]

I had an overwhelming aroma of mustard greens in Riesling way back in the early 2000’s at a tasting… strangest thing. Greg T might have been at that tasting.

The first (and probably still the strongest) time I got such a strong note in this vein was probably 25 years ago or so. I was at a family holiday gathering so there was lots of other activity in the kitchen, most of it behind my back since I was facing the counter. Just as I pulled the cork on a bottle of Ambra Carmignano (I don’t remember the vintage or the particular bottling), I turned around to grab some of the delicious Greek olives that someone had obviously just opened (or walked past with) behind me.

It was so clear and distinct and strong that it didn’t even occur to me for a second that it could be the wine. But when I turned around, there were no olives, and it was the wine - just from pulling the cork.