Jaboulet & Ramen

I’m having a 2016 Jaboulet ‘les Jalets’ [Crozes Hermitage] tonight with a grilled rib eye over ramen; Les Jalets is the junior varsity version of their Crozes. I’ve been down on this dogs breakfast bottling, but the 2016 is decent/solid, and has zesty Crozes syrah character. Les Jalets is a mish mosh of estate grapes, purchased must, negociant grapes etc. basically whatever they have laying around, so its been mediocre for years, and not worth purchasing beyond BTG. But after the Frey’s took over, and perhaps with a little more attention paid to their branded (non domaine) offerings, plus a couple of fat/fine vintage like 2015 and 2016, it has gotten better, and 2016 is worth drinking. It’s zippy, light (12.5% abv) and has smoky and peppery note, with a lively acidic palate. Violet floral notes on the nose. Not a wine to impress critics, or shine in a panel tasting, but this example does have NoRho typicity, and if you need some of that on a blizzardy weekend, pull a cork. Rather surprisingly, after an afternoon sample while decorating the tree and putting away ornaments, Mrs AKR asked me to put aside a glass to go with dinner tonight, as normally she doesn’t care for this AOC.

Overall, for me the 2016 is a solid B. I’m going to give the 2015 more time to perhaps develop, but generally these are not keepers unlike PJA’s other estate Crozes like Thalabert or Rourre. I pulled this one early since it got more heat than ideal during shipment, so I’m guessing it has no upside. (I didn’t get any stewed notes, but it had been a seeper upon opening the shipping box)

Reminds me of my college days where I’d buy the cheapest steak I could find at Kroger in Michigan and have it with Shin ramen and a bottle of Guigal CdR. Hope you enjoyed this as much as I did back in the day hah

Spell-checker failure?

Shin ramen is a brand of ramen. Or am I completely blanking out on the failure?

Joke, about how people often eat sh1tty ramen when times get rough.

Thanks for the TN. Am always looking for non bank-breaking old school syrah for casual drinking during the local winter.

It faded on day #2.

Wow. Never would have thought to pair wine with ramen. Of course, I’m talking the boiled, 3-minute kind, salty and spicy, full of potato-starch Korean kind. Guess you put a steak on anything and it can work. Kind of like mushrooms, too.

I think that’s being unfair. There are some good ramens out there.