TN: 2016 Dominio del Aguila Viñas Viejas

• 2016 Dominio del Aguila Viñas Viejas - Spain, Castilla y León, Ribera del Duero (12/19/2020)
    This is a medium golden yellow in the glass with scents of Juicy-Fruit bubble gum, ruby-grapefruit zest, dried pineapple, bee pollen, & white flowers the wine’s scents evolved & shifted over the 2 hours we drank this. The palate is framed by brisk & bracing acidity followed by flavors of green apple, kiwi, lime. This is very nice, and there is a level of complexity to it that is easy to note from the first sniff or sip. I can certainly see the comparisons to White Burgundy or high quality Chardonnay made with an old-world mind-set. I’m not sure that this deserves the level of praise it’s gotten, but it’s very nice. I don’t really know how to differentiate Abillo from Chardonnay with this experience. I have 2 more bottles to check in on & try to make more sense of. Outstanding!!

Posted from CellarTracker

The winemaker (Jorge Monzón) was involved at DRC and Vega Sicilia among others.
This Albillo for sure has some Chardonnay white Burgundy vibe, but different grape and different fruit still. It ferments 10 months in French barriques and then ripes for 12 months in French barriques.

Also worth checking out, but very expensive (not compared to Pingus) is his Canta la Perdiz.

Disclaimer: I buy and sell some of these wines in the Netherlands.

August 2021 :
Dominio del Aguila Albillo Ecologico Vinas Viejas 2016: 16/20
Réduit, peu expressif, assez indéchiffrable à ce stade. La forte acidité citronnée peut orienter vers le Jura (chardonnay). A revoir dans 5 à 10 ans.

June 2018 :
Dominio del Aguila Albillo Ecologico Vinas Viejas 2014 : 15/20
On partira ici dans tous les sens : Jura, Chablis, grenache du roussillon, maccabeu en Rioja, … Herbacé, citronné, vif.

I had an interesting Ribera del Duero blanco Dominio del Pidio 2020 (Albillo mayor) last week, but difficult to guess (blind). Thought Chablis.

I loved Canta la Perdiz 2015 served by Jorge Monzon two years ago (I was not blind).

Last week :
Espagne – Ribera del Duero – Dominio del Aguila Canta La Perdiz 2014 (Tempranillo, Bobal, Albillo, autres variétés) : ?
Not easy to guess. Powerful, lactic/oaky, very tannic (with a hint of gentian), earthy, with some significant alcohol. Thought Toro (tempranillo, Castilla Y Leon too) or even Sagrantino (a very tannic grape in Umbria). Time will tell !

I’m a big fan of Dominio del Aguila, full disclosure I’m their importer in Panama. The white is crazy good, I remember trying it from barrels back in 2016. I was blown away, for me it reminded me of a top notch Meursault. Back then the wine was kinda forbidden, the DO wouldn’t allow it.

Jorge kept fighting on, if you see it has the generic Vino de la Tierra de Castilla y Leon tag on it, but recently Ribera del Duero has announced it will accept whites. This wine was the game changer, it showed that you could produce incredible whites in the region with the Albillo grape.

1 Like