Windfall wine purchase

So I believe I am getting a windfall payment before the end of the year. I am thinking of buying a single great bottle and would like to keep it to around $600. Any recs would be greatly appreciated.

Great is in the eye of the beholder. You probably need to provide a little more info in terms of your preferences and likes/dislikes if you want a recommendation that align with your tastes. That being said, please do share with us what you end up buying. Also, is this a bottle that you plan to enjoy soon or is this going to sit on its side for some time? oh so many questions.

In a vacuum without knowing more, a 750 ml bottle 2001 d’Yquem or a 1991 Ridge Monte Bello. Less provenance issues with the former. Obviously, very different wines.

Congrats on the windfall!

couple thoughts

1986 Haut Brion
2001 Yquem
2009 Mugneret Gibourg Clos Vougeot

Hold off…maybe it will be $2000. :wink:

1 Like

Beaucastel Hommage a Jacques Perrin!! [bow.gif]

Exactly!! [highfive.gif]

DRC may be within reach.

If you can stretch the budget just-a-bit…

1990 Haut Brion has been showing really well the past few years.

Enjoy!

man, if I was going to spend $600 on wine I would get two $300 bottles or three $200 bottles rather than just one bottle…imagine if it’s corked.

1 Like

600-dollars is a windfall? I guess.

I would buy an older Vatan or an Overnoy Poulsard. YMMV.

Personally, if I were to receive a windfall check for any amount, rather than splurge on some luxury product, I would donate it to a food bank or other charity. I don’t need it, but there are millions of people that do. This money is intended to help those in need, and while some of it will certainly go to those who are not in need, there is nothing stopping you from passing it on to those who are.

12 Likes

Soldera.

1 Like

wind·fall (wĭnd′fôl′)
n.

1. A sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or financial gain.

Sounds like the OPs’ situation is the definition of a windfall. And your response is the definition of a d*ck comment.

2 Likes

Re: Windfall wine purchaseQuote mstockley
by mstockley » December 23rd, 2020, 7:44 pm

Markus S wrote: ↑December 23rd, 2020, 5:18 pm
600-dollars is a windfall? I guess.

wind·fall (wĭnd′fôl′)
n.

1. A sudden, unexpected piece of good fortune or financial gain.

Sounds like the OPs’ situation is the definition of a windfall. And your response is the definition of a d*ck comment.

I am so glad you said what I was thinking. I can’t believe that when someone asks for a wine recommendation on a wine blog they are first belittled for the amount suggested (note, the OP did not share the windfall amount, only the desire to buy a celebratory bottle in the $600 range), then told they should give their money to charity instead.
Instead of buying wine. WTF???

5 Likes

[popcorn.gif] [popcorn.gif]

Since when is reccommending Vatan a d**k comment?

Take what is given. Give what cannot be taken. Fu*k people who judge.

1 Like

Absolutely. Buy a bottle of 2008 from Acker. Have a few bucks left for dinner at Sizzler.

Exactly. For all we know, Kelly is planning to give 95% of the funds to charity and to celebrating with a small portion.

My suggestions: +1 on the Mugneret-Gibourg Clos Vougeot, or a mag of 2008 Clos des Goisses. Or a mag of 2001 Cavallotto Bricco Boschis Vigna San Giuseppe, with $200 to spare.

1 Like

The right response to the op, about what I perceive to be a joke about getting a stimulus check. Would guess 99% of the people here won’t get one.

1 Like