TN: 2016 Fontodi Chianti Classico (Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG)

Loved this. Such nice complexity with bountiful energy and openness. I was making a birthday dinner for my wife - steak au poive with au-gratin potatoes and skillet-roasted brussels, and am trying to give my cellar a break. Picked this up at my local shop, and it was perfect for the occasion.

• 2016 Fontodi Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (12/23/2020)
    Two-hour decant. Full garnet color with deep clarity. Dark aromatics of concentrated blackberry, pressed violet, smoked paprika, cracked peppercorn, nutmeg and sun-baked earth. Vivid black fruit palate, generous and expressive, with densely layered secondary floral and spices consistent from the nose, adding hints of high-toned minerality. Succulent and juicy, deceptively broad through the middle, with amply accented acidity and round tannins that both grip and give. Finishes with nice purity and length. This will age well, but sure is good to go right now. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thanks so much for this TN, Matt, a wine I may actually be able to get up here. Thoughts about how it compares to the 15? This sounds 'nummy

Mike

Mike, I’ll leave the vintage comparison to others with more Fontodi expertise. I like the producer, but don’t get to it every year. I can definitely recommend this though… it made me wonder why I’m not doing deeper dives into Chianti Classico.

To me the 15 and 16 Fontodi are similar in quality but not in style. The 2015 is a bit riper and more opulent while the 2016 is a bit less so. There is no better or worse. Which one you prefer is a matter of personal taste. I love them both. Unfortunately Fontodi got a bit pricy.

1 Like

Thanks, both of you. Jurgen, that’s what I would have suspected, so I’m glad to have some confirmation.

Just had the same wine and similar impressions, here’s my two cents worth!

• 2016 Fontodi Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (25/12/2020)
    Best iteration of this wine I’ve encountered. Has the bright red fruit of the 15 but with a deeper structure and intensity that comes together nicely. Sometimes Fontodis can give the impression of having too much modern gloss but I think the polished style works well in more powerful vintages like 16. Great now but can definitely go on for a long time.

Picked up a case of the '15, and a few bottles each of the '15 and '17, from Costco for a terrific price ($29.99), and have been thoroughly enjoying the '15. Haven’t yet gotten to the '16 or '17…

Only one I’ve had is a '17, which IMO is much too young to drink now:

Too young and tannic for my tastes. Gives sense of something really interesting to come, but that will take a few years I’d guess. So if you have and hold on to them for a while!
Kept on the counter with a Repour, finished on 12/1. Still going strong, maybe a bit less tannic but somehow unresolved. Good test of Repour, at least!

Posted from CellarTracker

There are very, very few Chianti Classicos like Fontodi’s. It’s a big, rich, modern style that’s almost jammy in style - and I can count on one hand the Chianti Classicos that compare. I’m a long time fan, but it’s a pretty unique 'Classico -

Got it - I’ll have to try other vintages of Fontodi to increase my frame of reference. The 2016 to me was more classic in style - it had nice richness but was lifted with great tension and energy. My go-to for a good entry-level CC has always been Felsina.

Me too. Big fan of Felsina. A much leaner style, but just textbook Sangiovese. I consider Felsina’s single vineyard Reserva ‘Rancia’ to be the single finest wine produced in Tuscany that carries the ‘Chianti Classico’ appellation (and it ages like a great Bordeaux).

I’ve had Rancia young (at tastings and a bottle at home), but never with age. I’ll have to change that.