TN: 2010 Dom, 2012 Cristal

Couple notable champagne this Xmas eve.

2010 Dom

Let’s just get this out there right now. This isn’t as good as the 08 Comtes, any recent Cristal, or 08/09 Dom. That being said, it’s a very nice champagne. I wouldn’t group it with the 04 Dom at all. I think 05 is a reasonable comparison but the most similar champagne to me is Krug 163. It’s not a world beater but it’s a very nice drink. Some lemon zest and a bit of toast on the nose, lighter palate and nice finish. It doesn’t have the power, richness, linearity, or focus of the aboveformentioned champagne but it’s nice and I don’t regret getting a 6 pack in the recent Zachy’s sale.

2012 Cristal

This is a fantastic champagne although I don’t think it will ultimately be as good as the tremendous 08. That’s nothing to be ashamed of as IMO the 08 Cristal is the best champagne since 96 Salon. Citrus fruits and brioche on the nose, a bit more kafir lime than the Dom. Bracing but not overwhelming acidity, very linear, mineral, and precise. Complex and elegant finish. Needs time. My ranking atm is 08 > 09 = 12 for Cristal but the 12 may surpass the 09 in time.

2 Likes

Thanks for this useful report. I know that you drink enough of these to know what you are saying is accurate.

This is the third time or so I’d had the 10 dom but had much more time with it this time so more detailed, but consistent notes. I’m glad I have a lot of the 12 Cristal!