Leroy Savignys

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

Leroy Savignys

#1 Post by Mark Golodetz »

I am looking at an offer of some Leroy Savigny Narbantons from vintages like 2002 for around $1500. I am very fond of older Savigny particularly Ecard and Pavelot both selling for less than $100, but never had a Leroy.

I have had other Leroys, and enjoyed them. However, how was Lalou able to raise something from a relatively humble appellation to justify the 15 times multiple?
ITB

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Leroy Savignys

#2 Post by dcornutt »

They are tremendous wines. I loaded up on the 2001 and 2002 wines at prices between $75 and $100. Long gone. It was not a value then but you could justify paying $75 for that wine when I was paying $27 to $30 for Ecard (nice wines too!). The best that Savigny has to offer. I don't think any of the Leroy wines are worth the tarriff now but that is my opinion and largely a function of my own economics.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

R. Frankel
BerserkerDay Council
BerserkerDay Council

#3 Post by R. Frankel »

Can anyone clarify the Leroy Narbanton vineyard ownership? Does she make a Domain and a Negociant wine? Or just one? Or varies by year? Between her web site and Cellar Tracker things aren’t very clear.
Rich Frankel

Rauno E (NZ)

#4 Post by Rauno E (NZ) »

I’ve had a couple of vintages of this wine. It is not (not even nearly) worth $1500.
Rauno Engel

Keith Levenberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Keith Levenberg »

Mark Golodetz wrote: December 25th, 2020, 4:55 am I have had other Leroys, and enjoyed them. However, how was Lalou able to raise something from a relatively humble appellation to justify the 15 times multiple?
She put her label on it?

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by alan weinberg »

Rauno E (NZ) wrote: December 25th, 2020, 10:52 am I’ve had a couple of vintages of this wine. It is not (not even nearly) worth $1500.
the 90 Narbantons was about $20 on release.

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by dcornutt »

R. Frankel wrote: December 25th, 2020, 9:11 am Can anyone clarify the Leroy Narbanton vineyard ownership? Does she make a Domain and a Negociant wine? Or just one? Or varies by year? Between her web site and Cellar Tracker things aren’t very clear.
Domaine wine. Where the plot exists is anyone's guess. Maybe William will know.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#8 Post by c fu »

dcornutt wrote: December 25th, 2020, 3:35 pm
R. Frankel wrote: December 25th, 2020, 9:11 am Can anyone clarify the Leroy Narbanton vineyard ownership? Does she make a Domain and a Negociant wine? Or just one? Or varies by year? Between her web site and Cellar Tracker things aren’t very clear.
I think there's one for the negotiant label too.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

ITB -Salt Vine Wines

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Dan Kravitz
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#9 Post by Dan Kravitz »

Anybody know anything about Leroy Savigny 'Serpentieres'? Estate or negoce? Any good?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Dennis Borczon »

Sorry, for that kind of coin you can get some of the lesser Leroy Vosne 1ers like Les Beaux Monts or Brulees. Probably a better bet.

Bill Sweeney
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Bill Sweeney »

Is that price for a case? Seems insane for a single bottle.

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Dennis Borczon »

Bill Sweeney wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:58 am Is that price for a case? Seems insane for a single bottle.
Pretty sure this is per bottle. Leroy exists in it's own universe of pricing. Basically DRC prices without the meticulous excellence maintained by HDV. She seems to have a personal mystique about her wines akin to Jayer. Insane $$$

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by dcornutt »

c fu wrote: December 25th, 2020, 5:56 pm
I think there's one for the negotiant label too.
Only pre 1989?
DON Cornutt

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Howard Cooper »

I would buy Pavelot or Chandon des Briailles and pay a reasonable price. Not a fan of Leroy's wines. More of a Bordeaux lovers Burgundy IMHO.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Robert Sand

#15 Post by Robert Sand »

Dennis Borczon wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:56 am Sorry, for that kind of coin you can get some of the lesser Leroy Vosne 1ers like Les Beaux Monts or Brulees. Probably a better bet.
If Beaux Monts and Brulees are the LESSER 1er Crus ... which are the better? [scratch.gif].

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by William Kelley »

Dan Kravitz wrote: December 25th, 2020, 6:21 pm Anybody know anything about Leroy Savigny 'Serpentieres'? Estate or negoce? Any good?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kravitz
That would be négoce! Haven't tasted it myself.
The Wine Advocate

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by William Kelley »

There is a domaine wine, and also often a bottling for Maison Leroy of purchased wine. Totally distinct!
The Wine Advocate

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by dcornutt »

William Kelley wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:10 am
There is a domaine wine, and also often a bottling for Maison Leroy of purchased wine. Totally distinct!
So she still purchases wine, Savigny Narbantons and puts it under the Maison label? That gets confusing.
DON Cornutt

Robert Sand

#19 Post by Robert Sand »

William Kelley wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:10 am
The domaine bottlings usually have a red cap (or a red wax) and the label reads:
Mis en bouteille au Domaine
LEROY proprietaire as Vosne-Romanee

while the negociant bottlings have usually white caps and the label reads:

Mise en bouteille par
LEROY Negociants a Auxey-Meursault

In some vintages there is also a negociant Savigny Narbantons bottling, not only a Domaine!

I have only tasted the domaine bottling in about 4 vintages:
while it is questionable weather any Savigny-lB is worth north of 1.000 bucks this is an absolutely stunning Savigny that makes most Cortons look quite modest. However it does not show complexity like a Vosne or Chambolle.

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by William Kelley »

Robert Sand wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:47 am However it does not show complexity like a Vosne or Chambolle.
Would like to put it in a blind tasting with some non-Leroy Vosne and Chambolle wines to test that contention!

To me, perhaps just free-associating when tasting, her Narbantons makes me think of Chambolle Les Baudes FWIW...
The Wine Advocate

Robert Sand

#21 Post by Robert Sand »

William Kelley wrote: December 26th, 2020, 9:59 am
Robert Sand wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:47 am However it does not show complexity like a Vosne or Chambolle.
Would like to put it in a blind tasting with some non-Leroy Vosne and Chambolle wines to test that contention!

To me, perhaps just free-associating when tasting, her Narbantons makes me think of Chambolle Les Baudes FWIW...
If it tastes similar to Chambolle Baudes it's not true to it's terroir.

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by William Kelley »

Robert Sand wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:21 pm

That's one of those things that might make sense in theory but makes no sense in practice.

Why shouldn't there be an analogy between wines from two of the more muscular premiers crus in two appellations stereotyped as defined by finesse?
The Wine Advocate

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Craig G »

Bill Sweeney wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:58 am Is that price for a case? Seems insane for a single bottle.
Welcome to Lalou-Land.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

David Kubiak

#24 Post by David Kubiak »

The price for all wines Leroy are insane. I have gotten offers for a recent vintage of Musigny at over $30,000 a bottle. And it wouldn’t surprise me if prices of her bottles went up even more after her death — she must be close to 90 now. The nature of the wines depends so much on her palate they are unlikely ever to be quite the same. I feel lucky to have drunk a lot of her 91’s, which was a great vintage for her, certainly greater than the ‘90’s, which all taste stewed to me. The ‘91 RSV is one of the greatest burgundies I have ever tasted, but I would never pay $1,000 for a Savigny-les-Beaunes, a wine that will always be associated with a $25 price point for me.

MikeF

#25 Post by MikeF »

I've had the 02 a few times over the years and it is a great bottle. That price is irrational but the wine is more than in a league of its own vs the other producers listed.

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#26 Post by Charlie Carnes »

Mark her Narbantons can be flat out gorgeous.

As to the price, there will always be outliers, unicorns when it comes to luxury items. Wine, as discussed here, is surly that! Speaking of outliers, have you tried Guillemont’s Savignys? They are beautiful and priced on the other side of the spectrum from Leroy.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Charlie Carnes
Monopole Crü
Monopole Crü

#27 Post by Charlie Carnes »

William Kelley wrote: December 26th, 2020, 1:37 pm

That's one of those things that might make sense in theory but makes no sense in practice.

Why shouldn't there be an analogy between wines from two of the more muscular premiers crus in two appellations stereotyped as defined by finesse?
Totally agree here. I constantly compare wines to other wines I have drunk. Quite normal and generally helpful if done properly.
So shines a good deed in a weary world!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mark Golodetz »

I think by focusing on the pricing, I may have framed my original question poorly. Savigny Narbantons generally can be made into perfectly nice wines. But even if you take those made by the best producers, it is still a third tier Burgundy. Lovely, but never that profound. Except it seems for Leroy.

A few here have tasted the wine, and write how good it is. Leaving aside the dollar sale price, how is Lalou able to make a wine that manages to go so far beyond what the terroir seems capable of?
ITB

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Howard Cooper »

Are any Leroy wines?
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by William Kelley »

Mark Golodetz wrote: December 27th, 2020, 4:42 am I think by focusing on the pricing, I may have framed my original question poorly. Savigny Narbantons generally can be made into perfectly nice wines. But even if you take those made by the best producers, it is still a third tier Burgundy. Lovely, but never that profound. Except it seems for Leroy.

A few here have tasted the wine, and write how good it is. Leaving aside the dollar sale price, how is Lalou able to make a wine that manages to go so far beyond what the terroir seems capable of?
I did a video attempting to answer the viticultural side of this question a couple of months ago with regard to her Domaine d'Auvenay Aligoté - and I think the observations are largely extensible to her other appellations. In case it's of interest...

The associated question is why do we think of Narbantons as merely a "third tier" site. Now, maybe that is true vis a vis Musigny and Romanée-Saint-Vivant, but as a site for growing grapes, if you walk the vineyard, it is evident that it is nonetheless an exceptional spot... So let's remember that the appellation hierarchy his human and historical as well as geological and topographical!
The Wine Advocate

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by William Kelley »

Howard Cooper wrote: December 27th, 2020, 5:27 am

Are any Leroy wines?
If you are extrapolating from '88/'89/'90 Leroy wines to what has been done since, I venture that that would be a mistake. Now, given the stratospheric pricing, it is not really helpful to say "try a 2007 Leroy Chambolle Charmes and see what you think", but, if you were to cross paths with contemporary Leroy wines I'm sure you would change your mind.
The Wine Advocate

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Mark Golodetz »

William Kelley wrote: December 27th, 2020, 5:51 am
Mark Golodetz wrote: December 27th, 2020, 4:42 am I think by focusing on the pricing, I may have framed my original question poorly. Savigny Narbantons generally can be made into perfectly nice wines. But even if you take those made by the best producers, it is still a third tier Burgundy. Lovely, but never that profound. Except it seems for Leroy.

I did a video attempting to answer the viticultural side of this question a couple of months ago with regard to her Domaine d'Auvenay Aligoté - and I think the observations are largely extensible to her other appellations. In case it's of interest...

The associated question is why do we think of Narbantons as merely a "third tier" site. Now, maybe that is true vis a vis Musigny and Romanée-Saint-Vivant, but as a site for growing grapes, if you walk the vineyard, it is evident that it is nonetheless an exceptional spot... So let's remember that the appellation hierarchy his human and historical as well as geological and topographical!

I am reading a fascinating book, “The Politics of Wine in Britain” by Charles Luddington. One of its central points is that much of the way we drink wine, or ascribe ranking is as much a product of the politics at the time as the inherent quality of the wine. It is an interesting thesis, and I plan to talk about it more when I finish the book, but even this doesn’t explain the reason why Cote de Beaune reds are not as prized as the Cote de Nuits, but the white wines are obviously prized more.

The book finishes with the Refreshment Houses act of 1860, which codified the duties on wine. Earlier though, the Whigs, a liberal party had pointedly stopped drinking French wine as an act of thumbing their noses at the French. The English did a lot of that over the years; hard to see the current Labour Party making a political point boycotting any wines.
ITB

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by William Kelley »

Mark Golodetz wrote: December 27th, 2020, 6:30 am I am reading a fascinating book, “The Politics of Wine in Britain” by Charles Luddington. One of its central points is that much of the way we drink wine, or ascribe ranking is as much a product of the politics at the time as the inherent quality of the wine. It is an interesting thesis, and I plan to talk about it more when I finish the book, but even this doesn’t explain the reason why Cote de Beaune reds are not as prized as the Cote de Nuits, but the white wines are obviously prized more.

The book finishes with the Refreshment Houses act of 1860, which codified the duties on wine. Earlier though, the Whigs, a liberal party had pointedly stopped drinking French wine as an act of thumbing their noses at the French. The English did a lot of that over the years; hard to see the current Labour Party making a political point boycotting any wines.
It's complex and multifactorial, as ever in Burgundy, and it makes as little sense to ascribe the region's hierarchy of sites exclusively to political, cultural, and historical factors as it does to ascribe them entirely to geology, topography, mesoclimate, and soil hydrology. However, when we have an idée fixte to the effect that Savigny is necessarily a simple, easygoing red destined for a 25 USD per bottle price point, that has very little to do with the inherent potential offered by the terroir.

Interestingly, when one tastes the entire Leroy and d'Auvenay range from bottle, side by side, the experience is simultaneously mind-opening and oddly reassuring: the d'Auvenay Auxey-Duresses whites, for example, would dominate many tastings of grand cru Puligny; yet the d'Auvenay Narvaux and Folatières are appreciably better; and the Chevalier-Montrachet appreciably better still. The same is true of the red wines. The AOC hierarchy is thus both exploded and confirmed in the same tasting. It makes one think...

Talking of Whigs, Robert Walpole used to circumvent his own government's boycott of French wine by rebottling Bordeaux in port bottles and importing it on an admiralty barge.
The Wine Advocate

Robert Sand

#34 Post by Robert Sand »

Howard Cooper wrote: December 27th, 2020, 5:27 am

Are any Leroy wines?
Well, YES, I don´t think (like William) that Leroy Narbantons tastes similar to a Chambolle Baudes, rather than a typical Northern Cotes-de-Beaune from the corner Savigny/Pernand/Aloxe, only on very high level usually not to be found in a Savigny 1er Cru, but with a TOP Corton Grand Cru.
It reminds me a bit on Meo-Camuzet Rognet ... which isn´t cheap either, but nothing compared to Leroy prices.

Also other Leroy wines are typical for their terroir imho, but also bear a certain Leroy-signature - or is it just that we aren´t used to such a high level of purity and intensity from some vineyards that we call it atypical? I never had a better Volay Santenots than Leroy´s - or rarely any better Volnay.

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Dennis Borczon »

Once again, a quite interesting video. Makes you wonder why other producers have not tried the same methods? With the prices she gets for her wines, the incentive seems to be there...growing a canopy out seems a fairly low cost change in vineyard management, given the big picture. We are not talking about managing hundreds of acres of this stuff after all...hmmm

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Mark Golodetz »

Nuits Saint Georges famously doesn’t have a Grand Cru, either because of the higher taxes on GCs or because the Gouges at the time, as mayor, thought that it would be seen as self serving.

That being said I have been drinking Savigny for years, and avoided the Leroy, as I thought them lousy values. I love the Ecard and Pavelot wines, but nothing is close even to a good red Corton let alone the better grand crus of the Cote de Nuits.
ITB

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by William Kelley »

Robert Sand wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:14 am
Well, YES, I don´t think (like William) that Leroy Narbantons tastes similar to a Chambolle Baudes, rather than a typical Northern Cotes-de-Beaune from the corner Savigny/Pernand/Aloxe, only on very high level usually not to be found in a Savigny 1er Cru, but with a TOP Corton Grand Cru.
It reminds me a bit on Meo-Camuzet Rognet ... which isn´t cheap either, but nothing compared to Leroy prices.
So a vineyard (Narbantons) can evoke another with distinctly different geology, altitude, soil hydrology, and exposition (Corton Rognet) that's 2.2 miles and two communes away, but not another that's 11.5 miles and a handful more communes away?
The Wine Advocate

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Dennis Borczon »

Robert Sand wrote: December 26th, 2020, 7:14 am
Dennis Borczon wrote: December 26th, 2020, 4:56 am Sorry, for that kind of coin you can get some of the lesser Leroy Vosne 1ers like Les Beaux Monts or Brulees. Probably a better bet.
If Beaux Monts and Brulees are the LESSER 1er Crus ... which are the better? [scratch.gif].
Malconsorts, Cros Parantoux, until recently La Grand Rue...

William Kelley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by William Kelley »

Dennis Borczon wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:23 am Once again, a quite interesting video. Makes you wonder why other producers have not tried the same methods? With the prices she gets for her wines, the incentive seems to be there...growing a canopy out seems a fairly low cost change in vineyard management, given the big picture. We are not talking about managing hundreds of acres of this stuff after all...hmmm
And yet, in the Aligoté parcel, the adjacent vineyards are not even planted with vines....
The Wine Advocate

Robert Sand

#40 Post by Robert Sand »

William Kelley wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:26 am
Robert Sand wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:14 am
So a vineyard (Narbantons) can evoke another with distinctly different geology, altitude, soil hydrology, and exposition (Corton Rognet) that's 2.2 miles and two communes away, but not another that's 11.5 miles and a handful more communes away?
William, if you didn´t get it already, my take with "not true to terroir" was mean funny and not to be taken seriously,
I admit I should have added a [wink.gif]
Nevertheless to my taste Narbantons doesn´t taste similar to any Chambolle-M, be it Les Baudes or whatever,
but for you it does - and that´s fine with me.

Robert Sand

#41 Post by Robert Sand »

Dennis Borczon wrote: December 27th, 2020, 7:27 am
(btw: "recently" was 30 years ago ...)
I agree with Cros Parantoux, but Malconsorts is imho not superior to Beaumonts nor to Brulees ... not even considering 2 to 3 fine producers besides the 2-3 underachievers.

So in your opinion Vosne-Romanee has two superior 1er Crus (CP+M), two "lesser" 1erCrus (Beaumonts and Brulees) -
and the rest is crap? Or are Reignots, Petits-Monts, Suchots, Gaudichots among the "lesser" ?
[scratch.gif]

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Dennis Borczon »

Robert Sand wrote: December 27th, 2020, 8:54 am

I agree with Cros Parantoux, but Malconsorts is imho not superior to Beaumonts nor to Brulees ... not even considering 2 to 3 fine producers besides the 2-3 underachievers.

So in your opinion Vosne-Romanee has two superior 1er Crus (CP+M), two "lesser" 1erCrus (Beaumonts and Brulees) -
and the rest is crap? Or are Reignots, Petits-Monts, Suchots, Gaudichots among the "lesser" ?
[scratch.gif]
Hardly crap, but the pedigree is superior to Savigny. That is the point. I am not trying to compare Vosne to vosne. You are being argumentative. Yes perhaps splitting hairs, but there is a reason Dujac Malconsorts is more $ than Beaumonts. Same producer, more of an apples to apples comp. Not get off my lawn...and yes 30 years is the blink of an eye in Burgundy btw

patrick c albright
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#43 Post by patrick c albright »

Dennis Borczon wrote: December 27th, 2020, 3:31 pm
Robert Sand wrote: December 27th, 2020, 8:54 am

[scratch.gif]
Hardly crap, but the pedigree is superior to Savigny. That is the point. I am not trying to compare Vosne to vosne. You are being argumentative. Yes perhaps splitting hairs, but there is a reason Dujac Malconsorts is more $ than Beaumonts. Same producer, more of an apples to apples comp. Not get off my lawn...and yes 30 years is the blink of an eye in Burgundy btw
Pedigree can lead to disappointment . . . there are plenty of sites that under perform.
ITB

Karl K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by Karl K »

Really nice video William, thank you.

Missed opportunity, indeed.
K a z a k s

Marcus Dean

#45 Post by Marcus Dean »

William Kelley wrote: December 26th, 2020, 8:08 am
Dan Kravitz wrote: December 25th, 2020, 6:21 pm Anybody know anything about Leroy Savigny 'Serpentieres'? Estate or negoce? Any good?

Thanks in advance.

Dan Kravitz
That would be négoce! Haven't tasted it myself.
I opened a 1999 Maison Leroy Serpentieres 2 nights ago at a dinner party I was hosting, ready now with balanced fruit in a lighter style and a slightly rocky finish, if I was scoring it would have got an 89 and if I had to guess which producer it came from I would think Pierre Guillemot (it sort of had the house style).

Return to “Wine Talk”