TNs: A couple of 2017 Burgs

• 2017 Jean-Claude Ramonet Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Clos de la Boudriotte Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru (25/12/2020)
    Very much open for business now. Incredibly perfumed nose, lovely crunchy red fruits of strawberries and cherries crunchy. Good acidity with some firm tannins but without the denseness of some Chassagne reds that I’ve encountered, definitely on the more elegant side. Best Chassagne red I’ve tasted so far.
  • 2017 Joseph Colin Puligny-Montrachet Le Trézin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet (25/12/2020)
    The latest member of the Marc Colin family to strike it out on his own. From high altitude vineyards and 60 year old vines. For a 17 white I was surprised at how expressive and open this is now, it wasn’t tightly knit at all. Ripe citrus fruits, some honeysuckle, judicious use of oak (15% new) that gives a little sweetness and roundness. Impressive finish, would expect this to put on more weight with age.

2 Likes

Melvin, others,

I haven’t pulled the trigger yet on this Ramonet in 2017 but expect to. I have noticed a price jump in the US (excluding tariff). I see pricing on Wine Searcher Pro that is anywhere from 20+% to ~70% above what I paid for the 2016. Do you or anyone know if this is a secondary market effect, a reflection of a jump ex-cellar, or both?

Hi Jayson, we had this at a wine bar so can’t be of your help to your query unfortunately!

It is not an ex-cellar jump for sure on this wine. It is a really good one. Nice note.

1 Like

some is tariff.

Huge jump without the tariff is what I’m saying. I deducted the tariff in my percentage estimates, assuming it is added in full at retail. If not ex-cellar, the secondary market is starting to up the margins on Ramonet reds.