Corison vineyard sources

Does anyone know what vineyards go into the Corison Napa cab? I heard she sources from a few vineyards in St Helena and Rutherford but curious as to which. Does any fruit from her Kronos vineyard go into the Napa bottling? Thanks in advance for any input.

1 Like

I would be curious to know as well!

The winery website says only, “Since 1987, the Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon has been sourced from three benchland vineyards located between Rutherford and St. Helena.” It seems some came from the Sunbasket Vineyard, shared with Shafer, since they sourced fruit from it for 25 years and now own it and are bottling a single-vineyard wine from it.

I’m not sure the other vineyards are a secret. I visited 10 years ago, and she told about having her fruit picked a week or two earlier than other wineries drawing from the same site. I think she mentioned the vineyard, though I don’t recall what it was.

David, you might just try emailing them and see if they’ll tell you. I imagine that they’ll be happy you’re interested, unless it’s confidential.

1 Like

Google is your friend, assuming one of Corison’s distributers is correct.

https://www.skurnik.com/sku/cabernet-sauvignon-napa-corison-3-2-4-3-2/

Sourced from 3 St. Helena vineyards:
Sunbasket Vineyard
Grech vineyard (3 properties west of Kronos)
Hayne Vineyard

Perfect! This is exactly what I was looking for.

Kronos Vineyard is always off the table when I blend the Corison Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon but Sunbasket has been a key component for over 30 years (!). For as long as we’ve owned it (2014), I cherry-pick a few barrels for a vineyard-designated bottling so it can come out and play. It has always been one of my favorite vineyards.

12 Likes

Welcome Cathy! [cheers.gif]

+1 - Don’t be a stranger.

+2

One of my all time favorite Napa wine makers. And not only the Corison label. Last night we had a York Creek Meritage from 1996, which was just wonderful.

Cathy, thanks so much for chiming in here. I’ve been a fan of since my wife and I visited your winery back many years ago.

To share one quick story, five years ago my wife and I were out on New Years Eve and ordered a bottle of your 1998 Kronos. I know that was considered an off vintage but the wine was singing that night. It had an elegance to it and to me tasted of the essence of Cabernet. Just a few days later my wife found out she was pregnant with our first child, so that Kronos cab ended up being the last bottle of wine we shared together before she went dry for the next nine months. It ended up being a wonderful wine to close out the pre-kids period of our lives.

1 Like