TN: 2002 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut (France, Champagne)

• 2002 Salon Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (12/26/2020)
    This is a perfect wine in a perfect place! It has perfect balance between flinty nutty mineral, creamy plush mousse, rich and tasty mouthfeel, zingy, tart apple and orchard fruit, an ever so slight hint of something red, like a strawberry breeze. This wine is in that place where it is shedding youth, whilst still maintaining youthful qualities, and moving into middle age, but still staying vibrant and young, and adding complexity. I absolutely love it. (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Nice note. I opened one at Thanksgiving, it is indeed in a great spot at the moment.

-Al

Crazy factoid… I’ve never had a Salon. [cry.gif]

I am actually afraid to. Because if it turns out I love it, I might have to gut my budget yearly buying it.

My first Salon was the 96…then a few weeks later I changed my avatar to my current pic! champagne.gif

True confession: the only Salon that I’ve ever had was the 96 upon release. I was relatively new to Champagne but I remember thinking that it was incredibly austere and offered little pleasure. It’s reputation was lost on me and the idea of potential was not something that I could evaluate at the time. So my question is if in fact Salon is superior to say Pierre Peters Chetillions, can someone explain to me how that is?

crazy good wine. May have to open one but afraid if it’s not as good as remembered . . . which happens.

Sounds fabulous. Thanks for the note Charlie.

1 Like

I’d take that risk!

Salon on release is SO coiled and frankly painful…needs 10+ years to release the magic!

Hope you get a shot soon!

I had it once at the Hotel de Crillon ages ago. I believe it was the ‘82. At the time, the dollar was very strong and it was only a slight extravagance as compared to today.

Had one in magnum earlier this year and enjoyed it; but was surprised at how ready it was to drink. My knee-jerk reaction was concern that it might lack aging potential (not helped by the fact that the few examples i’ve had older than '96 i thought did not show particularly well). curious what others might think.