TN: 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett "Kugel Peter" #12

• 2019 Hofgut Falkenstein Krettnacher Euchariusberg Riesling Kabinett “Kugel Peter” #12 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/26/2020)
    Aromas of Bartlett pear, tangerine peel, cassis, thyme, and chalky minerals are coaxed from the glass with some aeration. The palate is concentrated but still feels lightweight, with prominent fruit flavors of tart green apple, quince, and underripe yellow peach, with hints of whipped cream and baking spice. The fresh acidity and minerality already feel well integrated. The finish is long, primarily driven by the fruit with some intermingling herbal tones.

Like Gisela, this wine has great harmony in its core elements, with a long life ahead of it. But while Gisela is more lithe and expressive at this time, performing as a prima ballerina, the Kugel Peter is more serious and deep. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Only got a single bottle of this one…dance now or dance later?

I only bought 6 bottles of this and may go back for a full case worth.

I really feel bad for you Brian. You are doing such a good job with German wines that there has to be more Burgundy in your future. [wow.gif]

Not sure if you saw my post on the cellar diversity thread, but I’m buying enough German wine to make Robert blush.

1 Like

Opened a bottle.

My first Falkenstein of the year! I blinked, and 2/3 of the bottle was gone. Surprisingly open. After 5 minutes I was already getting a delicious onslaught of flower blossoms, unripe orangey citrus, petrichor, and caraway/licorice minerals. Very piquant and airy but deep and palate staining at the sane time. I’m loving this. But I’m going to be disciplined and let the rest of the bottle open further overnight.

I don’t see any in WS.

I only got a single of this too as well as the Gisela which I already opened. First thought was, damn, why didn’t I buy more. And now I can’t find them anywhere

Yeah, I couldn’t reload. I think the 2019s have come and gone sadly…

I never found the Gisela. The Kugel Peter is excellent though. Wish I had discovered this producer earlier.

Yeah I missed out on these too. Too much wine to buy :slight_smile:. I explained to my wife that I wasn’t buying wine I was “investing” in a good that has growth in value. However, she countered with a pretty strong argument that when I drink them they typically lose a lot of value. We will just have to agree to disagree

[cheers.gif]

Mee too
Although I bought 66 bottles of 2019
Resized_20201226_162252.jpeg

That’s double me lol

Union Square wines has #14 and #6 in stock at pretty good pricing for NY (MA was much cheaper)

I bought a good bit like I do every year, but I’m still not sure about the lifespan of these wines given the use of just the first-press juice. I suppose it doesn’t matter if you drink them young, when they are so delicious it’s hard to resist. I started putting away more of the wines beginning with the ‘17 vintage, but there is part of me that thinks these won’t make old bones. Does anyone know of other producers that use just the first-press? Maybe Lars will chime in.
A

I sent you a pm. Hopefully, Lars checks in here.

It was the 2018 vintage. The Webers noticed that it made sense to fraction at pressing, because the acidity dropped significantly the harder the grapes were pressed. In a normal vintage, they gently press to a higher bar, as the acidity declines only gradually. Other top producers did the same thing in 2018 and used the first-pressed juice for certain wines.

The accusations that the wines of Hofgut Falkenstein don’t age has been said before. It’s unfortunate, because the Webers believe in low yields and low intervention.

Thanks Lars. I had read that it was only first press juice in 2019 as well but sounds like that was incorrect.
A

1 Like

I hear from several knowledgeable enthusiastic winelovers that it is prudent to WAIT with enjoying the Falkenstein wines
The problem is that they taste so damn fantastic when young
Thats why I have stocked up.