TN: 2016 Ultramarine Rosé Heintz Vineyard

• 2016 Ultramarine Rosé Heintz Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/27/2020)
    First impression obviously is the color…salmon, copper, ala Provencal…but what is REALLY slappin me in the face is the nose! Has an absolutely intriguing red burgundy, intoxicating crushed red berry fruits of strawberry, cherry, raspberry…earth and faint sous bois…maybe some brett funk(?)…red licorice, and chambolle-isk perfume! Wow…is this going to be a Chambolle with bubbles!!! The palate brings you back down to earth…fresh and crisp, still with red berries…yet citrus cut and tingle…ginger and tart green apple…with a super balanced strawberry-n-cream mousse that coats…fantastic energy and length…crushed chalk and white pepper spice for a complete pile on of pleasures! Fantastic Rose’ bubbles here…might be my all time fav from them! (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Thanks for the early look.

Oh, man. I now know what I’m opening on NYE.

You just can’t beat a Buzz note. Great stuff buddy - makes me even more excited to pop one down the road!

1 Like

The recent 2016 offering was my first, so I’m new to Ultramarine. Do they need time or are they like this rose and generally good to go upon release?

I find that while they are all very good on release, they do continue to improve with age. The 2014s are currently drinking superbly.

It’s beyond my experience to say if they might get even better with more time, every bottle of Ultramarine we open raises the bar for domestic sparkling wine!

I recall reading somewhere suggesting waiting 6 months after disgorgement to drink (which was this past November) and staring with the Blanc de Blanc.

I completely agree with this - don’t think you can go wrong either way.

I will say the 13 BdB we just opened was drinking really, really well. Would love to see what extended time in the bottle does to these wines but it’s very hard to keep your hands off of them. If you were able to snag more than 1 Marc, my vote is that you take one for a spin [cheers.gif]

Marc, if this were my first allocation, and given Buzz’s review, I think I would open the Rose this New Year, and then maybe save the other two for Christmas and NY next year.

These Utramarine sparklers are definitely major celebration worthy. So if you are on the three bottle allocation, then July 4th, Christmas Day, and New Years would be my suggestion. Once you graduate to the six bottle allocation, you can add birthdays and the wedding anniversary! :smiley:

champagne.gif champagne.gif champagne.gif

1 Like