2010 Gonon; not ready for prime time

Enjoyable yes, but ready? Definitely not. This was a .375 bottle. Still young and tannic, youthfully delicious but without the complexity maturity will bring.
Dark cherries, a little olive, blood. Medium bodied. No where near a prime drinking window. The fifteen year rule might apply in a half bottle by 2025, but I’m not even sure of that.
I paid $25 for several half bottles in 2012.
Nice wine, needs time.

Cheers,
Warren

2 Likes

Good to know - thanks for the update!

Thanks for the check-in. I really feel like this about most 2010 Northern Rhônes. Had a Benetiere last year that was nowhere near ready, yet the 2011 is singing. Big vintage difference.

1 Like

Robert, I know know you’ve been saying the 2011 Gonon is lip-smackingly good right now too, but I tried one a couple weeks back and found it too youthful for my tastes. It reminded me of the sour red-fruited 2004 Cote Roties I’ve had that are only now starting to show well. (I will say you were spot-on regarding the 2012 Gonon, which is slurpy good right now)

Appreciate the check-in on the 2010 and will heed the “needs time” suggestion.

Just to weigh in on the singing 2011, I agree. Based on my bottle drank in September.

I had one back in June which was singing.
But as they say, no good wines, only good bottles.

I prefer the 11 over the 12 but nice to have these vintage variances to keep the wines interesting. I’m sitting on the 13s for 15+ as well.