TN: 1995 Grand Puy Lacoste

Decanted for just an hour.

Crimson in color with bricking at the edge of the glass. 13% ABV. Fantastic nose of red fruits, leather, cigar box and cedar. Medium body, warm and supple. Perfect balance of tannins, acids and fruit. Black currants, plums, tobacco and earth on the palate. Exceptional length on the finish with silky tannins in spades. I’ve been guilty of drinking many 95’s too early but this Grand Puy Lacoste seems to be in a really good spot. Tremendous Bordeaux from a polarizing vintage. Best over the next 3-5 years.

My rating: 94 points.

Full review on Zinfandel Chronicles - 1995 Chateau Grand Puy Lacoste - Bottle Notes | Zinfandel Chronicles

Cheers, Tom
IMG_2918-scaled-e1608998748942.jpg

Thanks, Tom,

You and I seem to have similar cellars–and taste!–so it’s nice to know that this one is in the zone.
BTW, I find '95’s rather variable, but some are certainly satisfying. Does the controversy extend beyond that?

Maybe polarizing is not the best word. I think there has always been a discussion about whether 95 or 96 was the better vintage and those that side with 96 argue that the tannins on the top 95’s might outlast the fruit. I’m sure others could add more thoughts on the merits of the two vintages.

Cheers!

1 Like

Always loved the 95 GPL, but opened a 2000 GPL on Christmas day that didn’t do much for me, which was surprising. I would prefer the 95 any day.

I prefer the ‘96 GPL to the ‘95. For my tastes, the ‘00 is equal pegging to the ‘96, and the ‘90 is in another stratosphere altogether! I was shocked at how well the ‘05 showed in a blind tasting a few months ago. I still think the ‘82 is my favorite.

My favorite Bordeaux, all things considered, and I have more GPL in the cellar than any other wine, by a comfortable margin.

I’ve been fortunate to have this wine four times in the past few years, once from my cellar and the others courtesy of two friends (one of whom I had talked into buying it!). All four have shown really well. It has some of the hardness of 95 but plenty of fruit and complexity. I have five bottles left of the six I bought and I’m in no hurry to drink but it’s definitely in a nice window.

This could have been written about 1995:

Bordeaux: They are neither generous nor vigorous, but the bouquet isn’t bad, and they have an indescribably sinister, sombre bite that is not at all disagreeable. – Alexandre Dumas, quoting Cardinal Richelieu

I like them quite a bit, but if someone has been raised on Bordeaux since 2009 or so, I wouldn’t serve them 1995 as their first older one.

1 Like

I like the 95 GPL but like Brian above I prefer 1996, it’s got better balance between acidity and tannins.
However there are a lot fine 95s but more often from the right bank, recently L Eglise Clinet 95 was stunning.

Always really liked this wine! Great note. Just looked I have three bottles that I bought pretty near release, yea!

We opened a bottle a few nights ago with dry aged prime strip steak. I didn’t make notes but yours are pretty accurate. I gave it a 93.