TN: 1994 Weingut Hermann Ludes Thörnicher Ritsch Riesling Spätlese

• 1994 Weingut Hermann Ludes Thörnicher Ritsch Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (12/28/2020)
    Waves of petrol on the nose. Concentrated green apple and a fresh-squeezed-juice like quality to the palate. Sweetens in the middle and on finish. Acid is softer than I remember, more of a whisper now. It’s very good drinking, with food and alone. Still fresh, but I will be drinking the remaining bottles sooner than later.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

I really like this wine! Party on Dennis…

Thanks, Paul! Nice wine. Cheers to you [cheers.gif]

Thanks for the note, Dennis. This was made in two separate bottlings. I bought both and just received them in my Fall shipments, and I’ll likely check in on one in 2021 so it’s good to have a data point.

From your photo, the one you had is the late-bottled version, AP 5/97. There is also an AP 3/96.

Cheers!

1 Like

Dave - Thanks for this info, I had no idea. Do you have a sense if any difference? I’m assuming we bought from same source.
Interested to hear your thoughts on both. Thanks.

Dennis,

I don’t know much about the difference(s). Our source offered them within a month or two of one another last Spring, and the price difference was a buck. If you keep and want to review the offers, the one was March 9 with “very important” in the subject line, the other was May 12 with “Dorian Gray” in the subject line.

MFW has notes only on the one you have, and their note says that it “was left in tank for two years before being bottled (hence the late AP number),” but otherwise doesn’t discuss why or offer any comparison/contrast to the other bottling.

When I open them, I can post something in this thread, especially if I decide to do a side-by-side. Of course, hopefully others also bought both and can do the same.