TN: 1991 Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley

• 1991 Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Alexander Valley - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (12/28/2020)
    Finally got the cork out in one piece! Have had half a dozen of these in the past 15 years, and the only bad thing about these wines are the corks turning to sawdust when you try to remove! A QPR Champion here, still holding on to the magic. Although not the 91 Winemakers Reserve, which is absolute MIND-BLOWING wine…this reg 91 is still drinking quite nicely, especially since it’s such a cheapo, and was never intended to be aged out for 30yrs! Dark plum, slight rose rim color…super dusty, minty, leather, walnut oil, dried leaves, cigar wrapper, plumberry nose. Fruit still sweet…plum, cherry, currants…soft and dusty pencil tannins…slight cherry skin sours for a refreshing acidity kick…subtle complexities of leather, menthol tobacco, dried leaf pile…and that crazy dusty cigar box. This bottle seems a lot fresher than the last one 9 years ago…maybe from the sounder cork? More subtle and lighter bodied than the reserve, of course, yet that wine is a freak! Classical old school…classical 1991…just plan class! (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

I had so many of these, and the '92, back in the day (not so much the reserve). If only I’d saved a few…

1 Like

Love this wine. Hard to find these days.

Oh Dave…the Winemaker’s Reserve…91/92/94 are legends!!! Hell…95 and 97 too! Like $25 back in the day?

Back when $25 was in the budget, but only as a splurge…

But the “regular” was in my wheelhouse, probably on through the '95 or '96 vintage. When did they go to that weird bottle with the multiple straight sides?

If I had the money and knowledge then that I have now…

(I did score a bottle of the '87 reserve recently. Just took delivery a week or two ago. Need to give it some time to settle. Hopefully it’s in good shape.)

One of my first case purchases. My last bottle was probably 20 years ago — but, I’m not at all surprised it held up so well. I wonder how the Beringer Knights Valleys are doing from that era. Another good one that flew under the radar was Gallo’s Northern Sonoma Estate. I think it was only made for a couple of years but it was excellent…

Probably purchased at the same shop where I bought mine, eh?

I still have several bottles of the 1991. They are enduring well.

No doubt. [cheers.gif]

Ive been thru 2-3 cases of the 1994. Still have a few bottles too.

This makes me happy!! I just picked up the ‘97 on Wine Bid. Great tasting note!

Very nice. I enjoyed 96,97,01 with those weird straight edged bottles.

I think Coppola bought this up and rebranded it?

Is there any reason to think current vintages will not be as good as these older 90’s?

1 Like

I see that Ed Killian has been making the wine since 1992. Of course, the winery moved to a facility the company owned in Asti after they sold the property to Coppola, who turned it into Francis Ford Coppola Presents. Was that 20 years ago?? Ed is highly respected but I am surprised he hasn’t retired. He was at Lambert bridge before moving to Ch Souverain and I remember a '91 Lambert Bridge Cab as being splendid.

Sonoma County Cab can be very good and is oftentimes a bargain. I might look at the Rodney Strong, Clos du Bois, and Simi offerings as well. I’ve enjoyed older cabs from all three. The sale of CDB to Gallo seems to have finally gone through.

When Souverain sold the property to Coppola, did that include the vineyards? I have never known but have always though so…and that Souverain became more of a “brand” versus an estate and why the wines are not as good as they were. Confusing my picture of this however is the fact that the Coppola presents wines have not been anything to brag about.

Thanks for the tasting note. A fantastic, under the radar wine. I got 8 bottles of the 1994 for $16 each about 4 years ago. Sadly, long gone now.

Trip down memory lane

Would love to know this. I loved the '91 so much, that I’ve built a vertical of '91, '92, '94, '96, '97, '98, '99, '03, and, '04 with various reserves mixed in.

Sounds like Coppola got a few acres of vineyards as part of the deal, but the main Souverain vineyards (300 acres) are in Asti where Fosters constructed the new Souverain facility, and those vineyards remained with Fosters/Souverain.

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/francis-ford-coppola-to-buy-chateau-souverain-property-2795

Btw…this was the Winemaker’s Reserve last had:

• 1991 Souverain Cabernet Sauvignon Winemaker’s Reserve - USA, California, Sonoma County, Alexander Valley (8/2/2019)
    Where do these beauties keep coming from!!! Last had two killer bottles back in 2016…still more in the cellar! Looks like I picked up a 4 pack on WB in 16 for $25 per. I’ll blind ANYONE in a First Growth tasting, and if this doesn’t win or place…I’ll give you my cellar!! :wink:
    This bottle even better than the last…dark and youthful with perfect integration and polished balance. Full bodied and layered with sweet berry fruits, currants, boysenberry jam…silky tannins, yet still has a firm cedar and tobacco dry spice kick. Plenty youthful acidity…aged complexities of menthol, leather, dried tobacco leaves, cigar box, licorice, damp cellar…wonderful florals of crushed violets, cherry blossoms and earth spice. SO classic SO plush…aged to perfection…a fine Bordeaux kissed with Ca sunshine! In awe of this wine. (97 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker