Week 6 Virtual Tasting Series for Charity - Sparklers - Nate M for International Justice Mission - DEC30 - JAN6

It’s the final Virtual Tasting Series for Charity 2020 and now it’s time open sparkling wines from around the world for a good cause. Any sparkling wine counts!

For every tasting note you publish I will donate $5 to International Justice Mission to end violence/slavery. To liven up the discussion and stories, for every current tasting note and past story of the best sparkling wine you ever had (what it was, who, where, etc.) I will donate 10 dollars.

I don’t know any of you, but if you want to match or donate in addition to what I am doing…that would be welcome as well. I love this whole idea of these past 6 weeks of donations through this hobby we share.

IJM is near and dear to my heart and if you want a stunning read that will make your heart heavy, here is a book by the founder that is provocative and insightful: https://www.thelocusteffect.com

About International Justice Mission https://www.ijm.org/

We find the children and families who are victims of violence, forced labor, or sex trafficking. We then support local police in rescue operations and help meet the victims’ urgent needs, like safe housing, food, medical care, counseling, and education. We walk alongside survivors until they are fully restored.

We make sure criminals cannot continue to harm vulnerable children, women and men. We do this by working with local law enforcement in investigating, arresting and charging slave owners with crimes. Then our lawyers and partners continue to fight in courtrooms until those slave owners are put behind bars.

Slavery still exists because traffickers and abusers can freely exploit people living in poverty. This is possible because police, judges and other officials are not equipped to enforce the laws. We provide training, mentoring and support to local law enforcement and other community leaders to slow down and stop the cycle of violence.

Here’s my story of the best champagne I have had… In October of 2018 a friend of mine got engaged at Nine Suns winery in Napa, CA. One of the guests (shout out to Greg!) brought a 1992 Dom Perignon that was just fantastic. I had never tried an old champagne like that, and as I remember it tasted like all of the secondary flavors that everyone talks about, i.e., almond, vanilla, toast, etc. It had a very slight effervescence, but was wonderful and perplexing for me. Anyways, it was spectacular and we dined on their helipad that night with lots of great wines. A great memory overall! Cheers to all you Berserkers and Happy New Year!

3 Likes

Cool, something I have in my cellar! champagne.gif

1 Like

I am not allowed to drink right now, but I will open a sparkler for the rest of the family and lick an empty glass to qualify.

1 Like

Let’s get the party started

Light to Medium gold color. Definitely a foamy brew like the last bottle. A little bit of oxidation and sweet yellow fruit aromas. Medium weight and good acidity. Steely acid on the palate and the attack is yellow apple and lime notes on the backend. I got a good chunk of chalk too.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

This is the week I’ve been waiting for!

1 Like

Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grande Reserve I really want to do a tasting note on the Hanjan New Year’s Ssam Feast with Uni and Ikura. It was Salmon and Toro tartar. Perfect with Champagne. Pear, brioche with fair amount of apple and bread. Slight note of sulfur/petrol with a slight tart sour ending note. Good and perfect with sushi. Excellent combo to the almost end of 2020. Thanks Nate for supporting IJM.

1 Like

Much appreciated. I have some and have been waiting for the right time to dive in for the first exposure. This moves up my timeline.

1 Like

Really started singing after being open an hour and change

1 Like

Cidre OK?

• 2018 Eric Bordelet Sydre Argelette - France, Normandy (12/30/2020)
    It’s hard to write a note on this because it’s hard to stop drinking it long enough to put down some thoughts. I had a bottle a few months ago, and my mind was in wine mode. I thought sparkling Kabinett feinherb. The delicacy and drinkabikity lined up in my mind. Apple yes, but with the virtues of finely crafted wine. Oops…it’s gone!

1 Like

You are welcome! Your entire meal sounds wonderful champagne.gif [cheers.gif]

As long as it has bubbles;)

It seems like you are really into champagne. I need to up my game. Can you recommend some entry level non-vintage (French) to try out and get a good survey of the land? I know this is a crazy question and has probably been answered soooo many times…but I figure I would ask here since I am (selfishly) engaged in this feed. champagne.gif newhere

It did!

1 Like

Absolutely! Thought hopefully some even heavier hitters here will chime in with thoughts. Some of the NV I tend to enjoy (leaning towards more true NV rather than those labeled as such due to local law):

Laherte Freres Blanc de Blanc Brut Nature
Vilmart Grand Cellier
Pierre Peters Cuvee de Reserve
Marie-Noelle Ledru Grand Cru Extra Brut
Fallet-Gourron Grand Cru Extra Bru

1 Like

Last night we had two bubbly things: a cider and a sekt. Technically before the start date, but I’ll let tptb decide whether to include these.

Cider was from Trader Joe’s: Hard Pressed Cider Company Spicy Cookie cider. This tasted like a delightful apple pie with a pretty heavy hand on the clove. It was balanced and thankfully not overly sweet, and the cloves keep it fresh as well. Like the cider above, this was hard to put down.

2014 Immich-Anker Enkircher Zeppwingert Riesling Sekt Brut. Opened this to go with some Sichuan take-out that we’ve been looking forward to. Right on opening it had the nice leesy aroma I enjoy in a bubbly, but that mostly evaporated with a bit of air. The bead was nice. Aromas remained fairly standard for Riesling: lemon, apple, hints of petrol here and there. Palate was bright and fairly simple. The finish was a bit shorter than I’d hoped but still nice. It went well with the food, too.

Two Blanc de blancs, both delicious

Chartogne Tallet 2013 Chemin de Reims:

Zingy acidity, super linear, white peach, lemon zest, very mineral almost Chablis like palate, but long complex finish.

2004 Taittinger CDC:

Still my favorite 04 and it’s not close. Ample but not shrill acidity. Super pure lemon essence. Long, enjoyable finish. Just a pleasure to drink.

1 Like

Diebolt-Vallois Cramant Prestige BdB

Tremendous wine that’s fantastic value. Coiled, lithe, and linear with lemon-lime zest and chalky minerality. Superb.

1 Like

Jacques Selosse V.O.

Disg. 05/19 - a blend from 11, 12, and 13. A cerebral wine to me. Dried citrus peel, camomile, honeycomb, chestnut. Good acidity throughout. Exceptionally lingering detailed finish. So young and so delicious.

1 Like

Domaine Carneros Brut NV

Toast predominant, yeast secondary. Many tiny, tiny bubbles. No sugar detected. Enjoyed by three people with very different palates. None was left for the meal, sorry to say. Will buy again.

Cheers to All! champagne.gif

1 Like

NYE Bottle 1:

• NV Egly-Ouriet Champagne Grand Cru Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (12/31/2020)
    D/G October 2019. Golden color, slightly oxidative as expected. Gripping lemon curd in the finish, lovely brioche and moderate red apple on the middle of the tongue. My first E-O, but certainly not my last. (92 pts.)

1 Like