TN: 1997 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia

I do not normally post Chianti notes, but I do drink them often, especially the Felsina offerings. I’m also often drinking them quite young, I do like that charm but also understand how they can age. I just choose to use my limited cellar space to mature other things. This 1997 Fattoria di Fèlsina Berardenga Chianti Classico Riserva Rancia turned me on my head, whether I should rethink that a little. The maturity here really allowed this wine to develop a level of complexity and range of expression that I generally do not experience in my Chianti drinking. Both nose and palate were in synch with sweet dried red fruits (even a little sour cherry), dry earth, wet tobacco and old leather. Showed some soft spice and rose petals as well. Had a bit of rustic charm, a little graininess in the finish, but tannins fully integrated. Absolutely lovely wine.

(93 pts.)

Sounds really great.
I don’t drink enough Chianti. Hell, I don’t really drink any Chianti.
Every time I see a note like this it makes me realize I need to drink more Chianti. Something to work on in 2021.
Thanks for the note!

I’m one of those “newbies” and i’ve got many branches and fingerlings running as i discover “my palate”…but a solid take for me with all these QPR yada yada’s…has been Chianti. Not too far behind has been Spanish rioja reserves and GR. All while hunting down Roberts BDX recommends :slight_smile:
Oh and Dennis, I bought my first JJ Prum 2 days ago but have yet to Krug plunge (waiting for my 2020 Bonus check maybe)

2 Likes

Lovely note, Owl.

I’m a fan of this bottling, though I’ve experienced a higher number of corked bottles than any other wine than I can recall. Don’t know if it’s bad luck or typical, but I stopped buying because of it.

Chianti is a wine that ages amazingly well. I’m at the opposite end, only drink old ones. Gelding Rancia Riserva and Monsanto I’ll Poggio are my faves.

Rancia used to be such a bargain, probably still is relatively speaking.

I’m in the camp of good CCR is better with some age on it. Which reminds me of some bottles that need drinking…