Let's end 2020 with some fun! Controversial opinions- Burgundy is overrated.

I 100% believe that Burgundy is completely overrated. If you have to pay that much money to get good wine, then it’s not that great of a region. You can get better wines for much less from the US and Italy. Go grab yourself a 2016 Vajra Albe Barolo and thank me later.

[popcorn.gif]

2 Likes

Overrated and overpriced are two different things.

Burgundy is not overrated.

You can get great wines for less, but not great Pinot or Chard for less. If you love California Pinot, then a good chance you don’t like Red Burgundy, so price still doesn’t matter.

I hope half the population is convinced of your argument and leaves the Burg market.

This is fun. In response, I do not think that great Burgundy is overrated, or that most people even think of it as being absolutely superior to all other regions. I think inflation and land prices and an elite stranglehold on the market is overrated. Great Burgundy? Not so much. Also ‘if you have to pay that much money to get good wine, then it’s not that great of a region’… English nerds, what’s the name of that logical fallacy?

My controversial opinion: The wine community is obsessed with brands. You can thank Bordeaux and Napa for that. Drink wider in 2021, Petrus and Screagle are schemes.

3 Likes

Controversial opinion: OP is a dummy.

1 Like

Insert popcorn thingy: give away the game.

Was Burgundy overrated a few years ago? I bought a case of 2008 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny for less than $25 per. It was obviously glorious wine.

I have bought Vajra every year, and have done so since I became aware of good wine. Considering the rising prices, when should I stop buying as it would have become overrated?

NB: Burgundy and Barolo are two different regions, using different grapes and different methods of wine making.

1 Like

Yes! It’s supposed to be a fun thread to post controversial opinions and have a good laugh. Thank you for playing along JT. What are your plans for drinking wider?? I’m diving more into Cotes de Bordeaux. Have had some interesting wines fun there.

Matt, I would say the when you have to spend over $100 to get decent wine, then the region becomes overrated.

Curtis, lmao. I would say that many would agree with you. Not that controversial.

I 100% believe that wine is completely overrated. If you have to pay that much money to get a good drink, then it’s not that great of a hobby. You can get better for much less like beer and booze. Go grab yourself an IPA and thank me later.

4 Likes

Stan, IPAs taste like cat piss. I’ll stick with Belgian Trappist.

3 Likes

Agreed. But since we’re being brash - it’s a certain type of consumer. The steakhouse crowd. [wink.gif] New wine consumers don’t give a s*it about Napa or Petrus. The new consumer wants to see that you care or built it with sweat equity, not just bought it with your millions.

At least until the small little artisan winery hits Saxum/SQN mother lode, that is, then they’ll fall right in line… [dance-clap.gif]

1 Like

Time for a new cat.

1 Like

[snort.gif] lmao :rofl::joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

I hope so! I see the democratization of wine as a real millennial endeavor. I see this especially in the natural field, which gets shit on a lot here. Regenerative agriculture, accessibility, innovation, healthy labor practices (the ideals go far beyond ‘added sulfur’) – how are these up for debate? Wouldn’t it be easier just to say you worship brands, kowtow to exclusivity, and don’t really like poor people?

3 Likes

Waiting for Howard to chime in [popcorn.gif]

1 Like

I’m reminded of one of my favorite monthly features of the late, lamented Spy magazine; Logrolling in Our Time.

1 Like

Controversial opinion: cats are overrated

3 Likes

[rofl.gif]

1 Like

I like you, JT! [cheers.gif]

1 Like

How is the controversial… They are overrated and evil. Lol