TN: 2010 Matello Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge

• 2010 Matello Pinot Noir Whistling Ridge Vineyard Ribbon Ridge - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (12/30/2020)
    Instantly transported to a walk in the forest. It’s fall, and the leaves are down. They were wet from a recent rain, but that has seeped into the soil, so that the leaves crack and crunch, releasing a deep woodsy note. If I kick the leaves it releases the mushroomy scent of damp earth. Stopping to snack on some trail mix, the aroma of dried cherries mingles with the scent of the trail.

It’s crisp from high pressure, and the hills, woods, and rocks bring clarity. The trail sign up ahead points to a turn towards home, but it’s better to press on, basking in the company of the trees, inhaling the life force they return to the land each year.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

You should be a poet

I only do limericks.

In all seriousness, thanks for the TN. Might have to find some old Matello wines to have while the more recent Goodfellow wines sleep. Really digging the 2018 vintage in particular.

I love drinking the young wines, but I now need to rethink that strategy. In more straightforward terms, this is seriously complex and beautifully evolved Pinot Noir. It’s not Burgundy, but it embodies many of the virtues that I seek in Burgundy, while also being true to its origins.

Indeed. I’ve only had a handful of aged pinot noir from Oregon (oldest being a 1993 Domaine Serene Evenstad Reserve, which was amazing), but pinot noir especially in Marcus’ hands really scratches that itch for a red wine that’s ethereal and has verve.

The ethereal element is what caught me. Then he manages to ensure the wines have a spine. Masterful.

1 Like

That’s a great TN David, thank you. I am very glad you liked the wine, although I had little doubt you would, given the similarity of our preferences.

2010 is one of, if not, my favorite vintages. It was my 9th vintage and while I had been learning a tremendous amount every year, 2010 is the first year that I feel like I put all of the lessons together and the winemaking jump is noticeable(IMO).

More than that, it was the vintage where Mother Nature showed me the path forward. One of the coolest vintages, it produced the wines I wanted to make. And I am very, very glad you enjoyed it. I have come to feel that I like Whistling Ridge wines in the first two years and then again around the 10 year mark. Charming vintages like 2016 excepted.

There is something about the Ribbon Ridge AVA that hits a sweet spot for my palate. Now I just need to buy enough to actually age some.

There once was a winery named Matello…

Thank you Dave. This is the perfect Goodfellow PN TN. I’ve had this exact experience, both on the trail and in the glass, but don’t have your writing skills to describe it. I love tasting notes that are more about the emotional experience than just a string of adjectives.

1 Like

One of my new year’s resolutions is to work on this.

Great note David! and nothing I could add that wouldn’t embarrass myself. I received one of these with my last shipment of Whistling ridge bottles (i’m a WR homer) with a note from Megan that when open 24 hours it really finds itself and opens up. After opening it was so good that I only left maybe a quarter bottle for the next night thinking how could it get better than this? Well like Megan said in her note after 24 hours this had kicked in another gear, wow! Really great wine Marcus that kind of makes me sad that something like this has been under my nose for so many years and I didn’t know it. [wow.gif]

2 Likes

Great note! Sounds like I need to keep an eye out for it. David Byrne (of Talking Heads fame) makes flowcharts and I think this is my favorite:
Imgur

It does not always come out. Only certain wines speak in the right voice, or maybe I can only hear certain wines. Probably a little of both.

Sorry about this.

An Oregon lad named Goodfellow
who loathed wine which was cloying as jello
with a love of the land
and a lightness of hand
made wine like Yo Yo Ma on the cello.

[smileyvault-ban.gif]

2 Likes

There once was a winery named Matello
They made wines that were balanced and mellow
But the name was a touch anonymous
So he decided to make it eponymous