Green hue in my Chardonnay - what does it mean?

What does it indicate?

Are these wines produced in low oxygen environments?

it’s a function of barrel type or age? Lack of one or both?

White grape skin contact?

General observation:

1. I’ve seen it in Burgundian and California wines
  2. Also in Sauvignon Blanc from places like New Zealand
  3. Seems to be in high acid wines but that might be because that’s what I drink

Just a guess, but perhaps it’s a function of (a) grape type, (b) ripeness of fruit (which would affect acidity) and (c) wood aging, which could result in some (micro) oxidation. But what do I know?

I can’t really say, but I know that I have really liked every Chard that had a green hue. I tend to like Chard’s that veer towards the tropical side, so maybe ripeness is at least part of the equation. I do like balance though, so most of these were not overly acidic. Interested to hear some more theories. Cheers!

Luck of the Blarney Stone?

It’s a young wine. Probably is picked relatively early and / or hasn’t seen much oak or aged that long in oxidative environment, because those tend to make the color more yellow. Most white wines have a green hue to them in their youth - some have more, some less.

1 Like

I think Otto nailed it.

I find those green hues in very young wine especially if not aged in wood.

I see these mostly in Chablis, so maybe it’s something the limestone does to the wine.

^this is the answer

a green hue in your chard will mean that its likely from a colder environment, possibly picked early, and probably saw stainless steel instead of oak

Sort of my thoughts. Although I don’t drink much chardonnay from stainless (that I know of) most is light/low/no new oak.

The green seems to be a nice visual marker that says “this should be in the wheelhouse” for my palate.

another color indicator, which I thought the green might relate to, is the case of rose which is bottled under little/no oxygen like some from southern Rhone and a few of my favorites here in California. Limiting the oxygen exposure creates a much lighter colored fleshy pink / peach color versus some that are more saturated.

No, not really. It’s just the combination of varieties and vinification. The pale / colorless style of rosé that seems to be so prevalent in Provence is only due to no skin contact, making the wines very clear and limpid, having only the slightest pale yellowish-peachy hue to them in bottle. Especially if you drop out the deeper-colored varieties like Syrah and Mourvèdre from the blend and concentrate on white varieties and pale red varieties like Grenache, Cinsaut or Tibouren, there’s not going to be much red color extracted upon crushing.

I’ve had some very reductively made Provence rosés versus some aged in oak barrels and they’ve been both very pale - the oaked versions perhaps more yellow-toned than pink in comparison.

Here’s an interesting article regarding rose production.

In the U.S., the majority of rosés are produced by holding the juice in contact with the skins, before or during fermentation, until the desired color is achieved or by saignée, the bleeding of a small percentage of juice from red must. The light juice that is bled off is then fermented as rosé. When undergoing longer pre-fermentation maceration, the use of the non-fermentative yeast Gaia, can help in preventing the development of off-characters from spoilage yeasts. The saignée method generally yields darker colored rosé and wines with more berry fruit aroma. Rosé can also be produced by blending a small amount of red wine with white. Most rosé from Champagne is traditionally made in this manner.

Rosés are made to be consumed young and fresh with bright fruit flavors and aromas and the balance of a crisp white wine. As such, during winemaking, they must be protected from oxidation. In order to protect these delicate aromas during fermentation, the judicious use of an oxygen-scavenging tannin such as FT Blanc Soft, a “white” gall nut tannin that will not darken rosé, will help prevent oxidation. One can also use the yeast derivative OptiMUM White which naturally contains high levels of the antioxidant glutathione and can help preserve and promote delicate aromas. Research from the Centre du Rosé in Provence has shown that glutathione is especially important in preserving thiols in varieties naturally rich in these aromas such as Cabernet Sauvignon.

Green like this! [wow.gif]

Agreed, that or its St.Patrick’s Day and you’re at a parade.

Less ripe Chard clusters can be strikingly neon green. I don’t think it would take that many to have an effect on the hue. In sorting several Chards for the same (lower ripeness) producer this year, we encountered these from some sites. Then it’s a matter of working out with the winemaker what you’re sorting for. The greenest can be just behind in everything and not a positive contribution, or they can be great. So, controlling for winemaker and style, it can still vary greatly by site (as well as factors like vine training and vintage).

1 Like

Another excellent green one, wasn’t even really a tint, straight up green. Good juice.

Berserkday purchase IIRC.

• 2017 Ladd Cellars Chardonnay - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (1/9/2021)
    Fairly prevalent green color to the wine. Good sign in my book. Super wine, again, from Ladd. Seems like some new oak but there’s acid, tropical fruit and tart rind finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Does this count? :grinning:

E9025ACE-ADA4-47C6-B343-3AD5706DC392.jpeg

1 Like

I think it means there’s 6 more weeks of winter.

Many of the best preserved 12+ year-old white burgundies I’m drinking at the moment have a green hue. I assumed it had to do with Sulfur compounds.

Hey, thanks for this note. Somehow I missed it (have been consumed by family ‘stuff’ tho). One note: it does have some tropical fruit, but is an ‘opening act’…with air time (or time in the bottle) the ‘main act’ comes out with yellow apples and some stone fruit and other nuances (along with the citrus/rind/etc). I generally give my chards some air before hand. Pouring some into a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and pouring back into the bottle an hour ahead of time (more like several hours ahead in the case of the 16) is an easy way to do this…plus the pyrex pouring lip fits perfectly in the top/opening of the bottle, bonus!