New Year’s wine resolution

How and when do you decide that you have too much wine? My new year resolution is to not buy more bottles this year than I actually drink this year. Happy New Year! champagne.gif

I say this every time this question comes up and I think it is worth repeating. The most enjoyable part of wine for me is opening bottles for other people so I will keep buying.

3 Likes

Fell into this trap in 2020. Buying needs to get drastically cut for 21’. We will see how that goes.

big decrease in purchasing for me in 2021, but not on Brunellos!

1 Like

My new years resolution is: I’m not going to drink anymore wine.
However, I’m not going to drink any less.

My resolutions are to buy less wine like most others and to organize my passive cellar so that:

1. The 100 wines most deserving of being in my wine fridges, are in my wine fridges (that’s capacity)
  2. the 100 wines that s/b drunk now or soon are on my “death row” rack and easily accessible
    the above to be accomplished during my Dry January inventory.
    I’m feeling optimistic this year.

Yes I started organizing my cellar but it’s not as good as it can be. The death row rack is a great idea - I need that.

Drinking my wines from the ’90s that need drinking with good folks (when that becomes possible again).

1 Like

Thx Lori. Like almost every good idea I have, it was glommed from someone else.

I am doing a dry January, followed by a “semi-dry” Feb / March. In Feb / March I’m allowing myself one bottle of wine a month. Concurrent with that, I’m not buying any wine until until the end of March.

We need to evaluate our mailing lists and perhaps drop one or two. We made good progress this year in drinking up older stock, so we’ll continue that. Sorting out bottles once a month or so into a separate “drink now” rack is an excellent idea and one we’re going to adopt. It’s so easy to get analysis paralysis when browsing CellarTracker and just pick something simple on the fly.

Buy more wines to drink now. Enjoy more everyday wines. Wine doesn’t always have to be an intellectual exercise.

2 Likes

No more dennegoce/private label wines.

Sticking to a set monthly budget.

More burg/rhone/champagne

My New Years wine resolutions are:
Lower my average price/bottle ratio (IE- get more daily drinkers $20-60 range)
Buy more white wines
Add a little more diversity

one of the most enjoyable memories for me this year was having my eyes opened to how amazing German Riesling can be, by you, at our mutual friend’s birthday party in Houston in February. Your generosity / evangelism is working…

1 Like

My big new years promise is to mainly/only buy my allocations this year, I’m spending too much on wine!

1 Like

Lori, I made this declaration three years ago and pretty much have stayed true to it.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2449274#p2449274

I have purchased A LOT of half bottles since then, and fair amount of champagne, but almost no recent vintage red wines – less than 2 cases, I’d say. It really hasn’t been all that hard.

But now the “retirement cellar” is filled to the gills, as previously-purchased futures and other pre-arrivals came in and all those halves started rolling in (boy do I need more half bottle storage!). So the tap has to close even more. Really, I shouldn’t be buying wine at all, but I suspect there will be more champagne purchases in my future (we drink it a lot and can consume recent vintage wines).

I want to keep learning and exploring wines to enhance my budding cellar collection, and to be more willing to open some of the nice bottles I have and enjoy them. I also want to thank the people who contribute to this website, because I have learned so much from reading all the posts.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s anything I want to do differently. Just keep making sure that we and those we love have every opportunity to drink well.

4 Likes

I’m working on my decennial cellar inventory. Once complete, I’ll try to focus on filling gaps. Buying this year was already much more strategic given that casual trips to the wine shop weren’t happening

1 Like