TN: 2017 Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay

Hamilton Russel definitely one of the best SA producers around. Their PN is absolutely world class. This wine I had lugged all the way from Cape Town after a business trip a few years back, thinking it would be impossible to get here. Suckers move - it’s readily available [wow.gif] . Nevertheless, a great wine from a great producer. And the Hemel and Aarde (Heaven and Earth) valley has some exceptional producers - well worth seeking out wines from there. SA in general really has some cutting edge stuff these days.

• 2017 Hamilton Russell Vineyards Chardonnay - South Africa, Cape South Coast, Walker Bay, Hemel-en-Aarde Valley (12/31/2020)
    On the nose: Saline sea spray on tan summer skin. On the palate that note I get with Chard more than anything - tinned pineapple. A little bitter end note in a very interesting way (and not the usual medicinal way), more of a skin contact hint. That salinity continues in the mouth. As if someone had dropped the barrels at the bottom of the Hemel and Aarde bay and left them there for a while to seep. Ending is soft, but not lacking - just right. I detect very little oak. A great wine from a great producer. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I did not taste this vintage so far but several others. Superb wine and winery!

I love the pinots from this winery. The best pinot in South Africa to me.

1 Like

I would agree, their PN is as good as it gets.

I’m a fan. I always love the saline sea spray on the nose you describe. It’s there every vintage.

It’s a good wine but I wouldn’t describe it as light on the oak. Though I haven’t had it in a few years. Might be time to revisit.

Have only had the chard but it is excellent and a great value

I have the 16 and will have to try it. Nice note!