Your cellar's core strength?

If you analyze a particular cellar, I would assume that most of the time you would be able to discern a clear dominant category of wine such as Burgundy, Barolo, Rhone, New world cab/blends, Bordeaux, etc. I think it would be safe to assume that the owner of this theoretical cellar is more passionate about his/her dominant category of wine than others…not to say that many other categories are not also appreciated and enjoyed. I would be interested to hear why some of you are most passionate about your favorite category of wine and your dream wines.

My favorite category is red Bordeaux for many reasons. Merlot is my favorite varietal followed by Cabernet. So that makes Bordeaux a clear contender for me…especially right bank. There are new world Bordeaux blends that I like, but for the most part I prefer the lower alcohol levels in Bordeaux…not interested in any motor oil or rocket fuel here. I enjoy purchasing Bordeaux that I know I will not be drinking for 10-15 years, and I enjoy the cellaring process…the anticipation and evolution. And lastly, more of my wine epiphanies over the years have been with Bordeaux more so than other wine. If money were no object, my cellar would be full of Chateau Pavie, Ausone, Angelus, Cheval Blanc and the best of Pomerol.

My love for German wine is well documented. It is 90% of my cellar and nothing could make me happier.

Red burgundy and Champagne is >90% of my cellar so…

German Riesling stands alone at #1. It’s more than twice as much as anything else.

Red Burg is over 40% of my cellar. Next closest is Nebbiolo at under 10%, then everything else is 9% or less.

German riesling for me, which is quickly increasing in proportion to other wines as my main cellar holding. Only represents 56% of my cellar currently, and mostly dominated by prädikat wines. I’ll have a handsome reward in 10-15 years.

1 Like

Bordeaux for us is #1. However, from any single producer, we have more Ridge wine than anything else. Mostly Monte Bello and Geyserville.

Ed

Wide variety, yet half is Italian and half of that is Piemontese. Very much not just Barbaresco and Barolo though.

Right Bank Bordeaux particularly Pomerol.

1. I think around 30-40% of my collection is from Jura. Mainly whites in the ouille style, and then a few reds.

2. Northern Rhone syrah.

3. German Spätburgunder.

But in total i only have a collection of around 250-275 bottles.

I don’t have one. Red Burgundy, Champagne, Piedmont and German Riesling are all consistently between 15-20%. Getting to this point has been at least partly a conscious effort.

I suppose the core strength is high acid, food friendly, balanced wine that needs a few years to show best.

A few years ago, in anticipation of good friend’s visit to our house, we gave him access to our CT, which is usually private. His response was “that’s a true drinker’s cellar.” I have thought about what exactly that means, and how it is different from others people’s cellars (most people plan to drink their wine, after all). I have some thoughts, but at the moment I mostly just feel that it’s true.

Pinot Noir, many expressions.

Riesling coming in second

And an uncanny ability to keep banks and credit card companies solvent.

The 2x4 framing… newhere

2 Likes

breadth and versatility can be core strengths, not just what one has the most of.

For my cellar, the core strength is depth. The breadth isn’t much—mostly Burgs and Champagne—but I’ve been collecting 36 years and can reach far back for aged expressions of wine.

Just under 50% of all is new and old world Pinot Noir and about 25% is champagne. I’m extremely passionate about red Burgundy {and white Burgundy} and fine champagne from many of the top producers who perform well over the long haul in each.

This pretty much mirrors what I have, along with a healthy dose of Vintage Ports and Sauturnes.

my cellar is definitely strongest in Oregon. picking up steam in whites but pinot especially

Zinfandel. Clearly my cellar’s core strength is taste and class!

2 Likes

I would say my cellar’s strength is red, often Cab-dominant, with a bias toward fuller bodied and meaty/gamey reds.

Within the red category, I have a relatively large amount of Musar (~15% of my red from one producer). Then Napa Valley is extremely well represented as well as France, which is a roughly even mix between Bordeaux/Burgundy/Rhone.

1 Like

Prolly 70% Cab-dominant, between my Bordeaux, Chinons and a smattering of California Cabs.