TN: 1996 Salon

this was the wine that almost got me banned from eBob by Squires. My one word review of « wow » wasn’t appreciated. Not enough adjectives. Well, the wine is still a wow, but the acidity has tamed and integrated, fruits and flavors all melded. The mouthfeel is amazing, calm and layered, superb density and nice persistence, nothing out of place. Definitely in the zone now. No rush to drink up, but a joy to drink.

3 Likes

now was that so hard ?

no, but not sure my impressions help anyone. As I age, I write more of impressions and less detail. No « mandarin orange zest » or « late season Bing cherries from a north-facing orchard. ».

There it is…nice! [cheers.gif]

Just say…Chevalier with bubbles! champagne.gif

alan weinberg wrote:
this was the wine that almost got me banned from eBob by Squires

You are too modest, Dr. I remember that your one-word description triggered a surge in sales of 1996 Salon! [cheers.gif]

Ed

yes and I only wish I had listened to myself. It was $200 a bottle at the time of that review.

Happy to hear this Alan as I have 2 bottles remaining and have been curious as to when I need to be thinking bout opening at least one. My experiences with the 96` Krug has been horrible and I do not trust the 3 remaining bottles I have are even viable as the last 4 have been oxidized beyond my appreciation zone. I’ve been hoping that would not be the case for the Salon and your notes are encouraging.

ooh, bad news there on Krug. I need to look at that soon . . . bottle by bottle.

Ahh, your note is giving me seller’s remorse. Sold all my Salon including the 1996s in November at auction. Prices are crazy. I should have kept a few.

It’s funny how our brains put different wines in different categories of how much we would spend on a bottle. The $229 a bottle I spent for a couple bottles of 1996 Salon in 2007 was IIRC the most I had ever spent on a new release bottle of anything at the time. (I didn’t see it for $200 or wasn’t patient enough. The 1990 had been $200 on release in NYC.) It’s still the most money I’ve ever spent on any bottle of Champagne. No regrets except maybe not getting a couple more. Still one left.

I have a single bottle. Plan on opening on 1/20/21

1 Like

Remains one of the very best of my Champagne experiences. Thanks!

Thanks. Picked up one bottle last year and probably will save it for a big occasion unless I get the opportunity to pick up some more at a good price and then I’d like to taste one.

This☝🏻is the phrase I use to describe ‘96 Salon. Chevalier with bubbles is my ideal Champagne.

Wow…

I was just being sarcastic. I actually liked your short reviews. I also hate wordy and IMO fake adjectives describing wine. Keep on rockin.

Same with me. Balance, concentration, length, structure, everything else is purely subjective. One persons raspberry is another persons strawberry…

Yeah, but if you say strawberry you might end up on someone’s foe list. neener

Now