Kutch 2019 lineup with Jamie and the crew

Frank did all the hard work organizing this event and Jamie was generous with his time as always. The picture below is of me filling 60 bottles for the group to taste, what a pain in the butt that is, and then the logistics of getting them distributed to everybody is no small matter. There were a couple of hand-offs and front porch dropoffs but it came off without a hitch.

There were about 12 of us on this zoom including spouses and significant others. Even Jamie’s wife joined us to taste through a few of the wines that she had actually never tasted before because a few of these were just bottled.

I know a few others were taking notes so they can drop them here. I’ll get mine written up during the football games today.
IMG_20210101_105957.jpg

Sounds like fun - and believe me, I know the ‘hassles’ of filling these small bottles :slight_smile: Were these 4 oz bottles or another size? And were these wines already bottled or were some barrel samples? And these were filled and then delivered same day or?

Cheers.

1 Like

Happy New Year, Larry.

Everyone got a ~3oz pour and Frank and I filled the bottles at 1pm and then the tasting started at 6pm. Everyone was from OC.

Nice Brig - were these already all bottled or were some of these barrel samples? Also, did most of these need a good amount of decanting since they were so young or not? And last question - I know that Jamie has oftentimes liked his chardonnays poured closer to cellar temperature rather then really chilled - was that the case this time?

And happy new year to you and the Jersey crew.

Cheers!

Brig, thanks for starting the topic here. You’re the storyteller of our group, so I look forward to your notes later.

Larry, happy new year buddy. These wines were all bottled about three weeks prior. Jamie shipped them all to me after they had been corked and foiled. I hung onto them until we could get the group all gathered on Zoom. I opened the wines at Noon, and just put the corks back inside. Brig arrived a few hours later, and we filled the 56 bottles in my backyard. During the tasting, Jamie wanted to do the Chards last, so we finished with those two wines (and the order you will note below with my tasting sequence, this was the order we all did them in). Each guy managed the temperature on the wines locally to their tasting setting, but for mine they were chilled but allowed to be just lightly chilled for my notes. Finally, as for my notes, I tasted the wines over two days, as I had the good fortune to retain the bottles and the leftover ounces in each. This allowed me to taste the wines in two moments, with the extra luxury of sitting when them twice: once with the guys and Jamie, and the next day alone.

Jamie, I value your efforts and commitment to let us go through these wines with you. You remain accessible, humble and honest with your wines, and for the feedback you accepted from us. My notes below reflect the same honest commitment back to you. Keep up the ongoing work you have to learn, to make the wines better each vintage. Falstaff once again remains close to my heart–what a stunning wine this is, and will continue to be, much like the 2017 has become.

THE 2019 KUTCH WINES WITH JAMIE KUTCH - tasted virtually using Zoom (12/30/2020)

• 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here, and less whole cluster than past vintages, around 50-75% stem inclusion used. This has the lighter, rose color that I expect from Bohan. And like I come expect from Bohan, even though the color is that gentle red, the aromatics for me consistently lift so successfully from the glass. Past vintages can show a rose petal quality, and this vintage is the same, along with spicy herbals coming from the stems. Juicy cranberry, strawberry, along with some tannin structure that is clearly present in the wine even on the second day that shows up as some rustic cedar. This is medium-weighted, nothing heavy here at all, yet like with Bohan from other vintages, this is not short on flavor. Perhaps more rugged this vintage (and of note, this was bottled just three weeks ago), be interesting to see how this evolves.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here. I also tasted this right after the regular Bohan, and it’s important to point out that while that wine has a good amount of stems used, this is completely destemmed. Jamie follows this approach for this section of Bohan as he wants to manage the power and structure differently through what the Graveyard block offers. The color here is darker than Bohan, a deeper hue of red. The gentle, red fruited quality of Bohan now transforms into something darker, mixing in some purple tones. It’s akin to being able to taste the darker fruit as seen through the added intensity. Still the same cranberry as Bohan, but now add in dark raspberry, red apple and some watermelon. The textural quality changes here too, from the rusticity of Bohan to a rocky tone. It conveys a rocky, juicy quality that is excellent. The wine finishes with with the same purplish fruit, almost boysen in tone, yet retaining the juicy aspect. And there is is even a touch of cinnamon that comes through, which makes the wine even better. Like the Bohan, this is also medium weight, drinking very pure. I’m flagging this for a ‘buy’ note when released (just 4 barrels made so there ain’t gonna be a lot). Excellent.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Mindego Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here, with 75% stem inclusion used, and 12.5% ABV. This is the first bottling for this plot, which lies very close to Alpine and Horseshoe, for those who drink the Rhys Pinots from these two sites. Faint whiff of stems in the aromatic, along with cherry. The wine remains fairly tight, even after two days, with the palate more narrow. Rocky red fruit, with some blueberry skin, tangy cranberry. So, I decided to really give this a good swirl, to move the air into the wine and let it warm up a bit more. These finally release the blueberry tones that really come through, even moreso than last night. This blueberry quality is a new expression for what I would note for Jamie’s range–I love it, the diversity potential that it can add to his portfolio. And this additional aeration softens the palate too, allowing the wine to gain complexity. In sum, I am very intrigued about the possibilities for this site, and while this wine is still young, let’s give this some time in bottle (was just bottled three weeks ago) and see what happens to it in 2021 with some more time under cork. This might turn out to be something head-turning, similar to the stunning results that Kutch Falstaff often shows. Jamie, you might really have something here in Mindego Ridge.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here, and less whole cluster than past vintages, around 75% stem inclusion used. Since 2017, this wine has been built through a blending of declassified barrels from Jamie’s range of vineyards. For 2019, the wine has a majority of Bohan, with added McDougall and then a small addition of the new plot, Mindego Ridge. This vintage of Sonoma Coast is juicy, with lots of red fruit, mainly strawberry and cranberry. The palate reminds me of the rocky quality of the 2019 Graveyard’s texture (although there is no Graveyard in this blend), with a tangy red/blue note that helps frame the fruit across the palate. And looking at my notes from last night, it’s clear to me this wine has tightened up since then, too. I can sense the purity under the structure so my bet is that this will be another strong vintage for Sonoma Coast, akin to the 2017 but it will need some bottle time to integrate. All the pieces are here.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here, and less whole cluster than past vintages, around 75% stem inclusion used. Of all the single vineyard wines last night that we tasted, this one seemed the least evolved to me so I’m fortunate to be able to have a good retaste with the wine today. I gave this a good swirl, plenty of air. First off, I don’t sense the stems, as if they are doing their thing, they have been sucked into the wine and not showing in the aroma. This wine remains coiled, all of the McDougall dark red fruit evident, yet the structure is clamping it down. Can I use the word ‘brooding’? I know I have used this for McDougall in other vintages, so it’s consistent in that way but I do think this wine is suffering some from the recent bottling (just three weeks ago). It’s got all the McDougall power but it doesn’t yet have the balance I would expect. One final comment: I found the 2019 Sonoma Coast (tasted just before the McDougall) to have the kind of youthful quality–still not yet integrated but the Kutch purity lurking underneath the structure. It shouldn’t then be a surprise that the 2019 Sonoma Coast shows this way, as that wine has a good amount of 2019 McDougall in it. So, the moral of this story is that both of these wines need time to integrate, to flesh out.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. As with Jamie’s typical approach surrounding Pinot Noir and oak, there is zero new oak here, and less whole cluster than past vintages, around 75% stem inclusion used. Last night, this wine stole the show for me, showing the best stuffing, balance and intensity of the 8 2019 Kutch wines we opened. For background, Falstaff for me has always been the flagship, the core of the best of what Jamie does with his Pinot Noir. And for context, the 2017 Falstaff (after a half dozen bottles to date) represents the best Pinot Noir that Jamie has ever made, a wine of great class. I stand by that wine as what it represents in California Pinot Noir. So, I always have very high expectations for Kutch Falstaff. Retasting the wine today, this remains top of the class. Why? It hits all the boxes for what I want in Pinot Noir. First, intensity. You cannot miss that here. Pure, with a blend of rocky blue and red fruit, forming the core of the wine. Next, there is acid. And it’s not misplaced nor sticking out. What the acidity does is lift the wine, add to the intensity. Then what? Well, I call it purity. I know for my palate when a wine has a purity, and it’s this purity that continues to define Falstaff. It did in 2017, and I can see it here again in 2019. This is already gorgeous. Jamie…bravo, dude!
  • 2019 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Tasted over two days. Of note, the 2019 Kutch Chards saw zero new oak (although some ‘once used’ were in the elevage). Lots to like here with a mix of flavors ranging from pineapple, pear and apples. What is prominent above all of these is the signature Kutch acidity, which appears in the aromatic and palate. As the wine finishes, and not noticeable to me last night, is the river rock note that buffers through the finish, even with a little savory, mouthwatering quality akin to Chablis. This gives the fruit a good countering textural component. Overall, this is a more chiseled version of the SC Chard, with a brightness I enjoy.
  • 2019 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Tasted over two days. Of note, the 2019 Kutch Chards saw zero new oak (although some ‘once used’ were in the elevage). I tasted this alongside the 2019 Kutch Sonoma Coast, and while that wine shows a good chisel and good fruit marriage, this Troutt Gulch shows added intensity and concentration. The acidity is more electric and bright, and there is a honeyed quality to the apple. In sum, a deeper purity that gives the wine a sexy quality. This Trout Gulch has the same chisel as the Sonoma Coast, but to a more intense degree. So, think lemon curd framed by a bright acidity, then a saline/river rock structure that carries it. The finish here brings in some spice, what Counselor Seiber last night I believe called ‘white pepper’. His descriptor is brilliant, as that is spot-on. Some green apple and maybe a touch of mango join the finish, too. This is very good.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

A few more photos…
20201229_082404.jpg
20201229_124737.jpg
20201229_130756.jpg

No barrel samples, all official Kutch final bottlings with labels.

As for decanting, these saw 5 hours in the jars. Clearly these are young but drink beautifully right now but I’m not afraid of a little grit. I usually like 3-4 years on Kutch type wines. They have a long life ahead of them. What’s amazing is the next day there was zero difference after sitting on the counter overnight. Whole cluster and finely knitted tannins are key here I’m guessing.

Yeah, so Jamie likes to taste his wines at room temperature. We tasted the two chardonnay at the end of the lineup. Hopefully he’ll jump in here and comment but for him, he tastes these wines throughout the winemaking process in the winery at room temperature. So for him to fairly compare a final bottling he doesn’t want a chilled wine which would elevate the acid and suppress the fruit. Makes sense to me.

Better bring a bag of ice if you’re invited to Jamie’s house! LOL

Those tasting bottles look oddly familiar…

It was a great tasting, and as usual, Jamie is a firehose of knowledge, information and opinion, as to the subjects of the tasting and many other things as well. It was a great conversation, connection and learning experience.

My notes (always sucks to have to go after Frankie in these things, but you snooze, you lose):

2019 Kutch Bohan. This is a feminine wine with a lighter hand, as is the nature of Bohan. Light, sweet cherries with a hint of hard red candy, mild sweet strawberry, pomegranate. Rose petals and a hint of bay leaf. Some chalky grip on the finish. Definitely less extract and density than Falstaff or McDougall, a delicate styled pinot to serve with fish.
2019 Kutch Bohan Graveyard. As usual, this is a fully destemmed bottling, as Jamie said wines from this block are too stern when made in his usual whole cluster style. A big step up in the intensity of the fruit from the Bohan, cranberry and red cherry and cherry skin, red apple, followed by a pleasant brambly berry bush character. A great example of a wine without weight but with real intensity to the fruit.

2019 Kutch Mindego Ridge. This wine is immediately appealing, with a beautiful nose of intense cherry and citrus in perfect crisp ripeness. It has a lovely finish of ripe orange and orange peel and juicy acids. 75% whole cluster, from a vineyard right next to Alpine Vineyard in the Santa Cruz Mountains. This should and the Graveyard should be the 2019s that drink really well in the earlier years. This is a very good wine, but Jamie says this vineyard has a lot of upside as he dials in how to make the best wines he can from there.

2019 Kutch Sonoma Coast Pinot. You really have to give Jamie credit for making this very good wine year after year and holding to a $39 price point that is below most appellation pinots even from merely-okay type producers. The fruit here is from Bohan, McDougall and Mindego Ridge, in that order (less than 10% from Mindego, and thus still the Sonoma Coast labeling). Where the other pinots focus more on fruit on the nose at this early stage, this wine has a rich nose of pine forest, sweet dark soil and cocoa shells. The fruit is rounder, with blueberry and some strawberry cream. Definitely rounder and without the sharp edges of the others as they appear at such a young age.

2019 Kutch McDougall. Pine needles, purple and blue fruit, a light layer of vanilla. Some chalky mineral. The mid palate isn’t full in the way that this bottling normally is, which might reflect the youth and recently bottled nature, but on this night, McDougall did not show as well as most of the other bottles or as well as it normally shows in other vintages.

2019 Kutch Falstaff. This was really impressive. Great intensity and purity of fruit, red berry fruit with real freshness and crunch to it. Good tannic structure to the wine, with nice pine forest, oranges, juicy citrus acids. While I think Mindego and Graveyard might be the bottles I would open in the next year or two, I think Falstaff looks like the one which will become the best wine of this Kutch vintage with time.

2019 Kutch Sonoma Coast Chardonnay. This was a little richer and rounder than past vintages of this wine, to me, though that’s a relative thing, as Jamie makes his chardonnays without little or (in this vintage) no new oak, with high acids and a Chablis styling. Pineapple fruit, a hint of mint, sweet lemon. A very nice wine at a great price (I think $39?) which will drink well in the next several years.

2019 Kutch Trout Gulch Chardonnay. No new oak this vintage (it can have up to 20% in some other vintages). This has sterner and more serious styling to it than the Sonoma Coast. Intense lemon and lemon zest, white pepper, white flowers, river rock minerality. Very Chablis-like. A great wine which will be approachable early but should reward mid-term aging.

Among other things to admire here is that, with Jamie’s approach to pick dates, oak treatment and overall non-intervention, we really taste each of these sites. While they all tasted like Kutch wines, no two of them were highly similar to each other. Very honest and transparent winemaking, here.

So I’m taking the road slightly less travelled. I thought the WOTN were…

• Mindego PN - surprise by the extremely high quality in the first vintage
  • SC Chardonnay - there’s no reason not to fill the house with this stuff
  • Falstaff PN - not a big stretch here, I’m a Falstaff cheerleading going way back

KUTCH 2019 LINEUP WITH JAMIE AND THE CREW - (1/4/2021)

• 2019 Kutch Chardonnay Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    I think this is all Bohan fruit if I wrote that down correctly. Maybe the chardonnay from this vineyard should have more love and vineyard designation if it can consistently turn out like this quality. Flinty nose, I like that… It’s tropical fruit, beautiful lemon and lime notes with a pineapple core. I wrote all kinds of descriptors like vibrant, classic, edgy. No new oak. I really enjoyed this wine, so much so that I may have liked it more than the Trout Gulch and that’s my favorite California vineyard.
  • 2019 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    For me, it’s really difficult not to be enamored with Trout Gulch. I’ve tasted wines from a couple of other producers and while there are stylistic differences regarding oak/ripeness the fruit also stands out. Like the '19 SC bottle, this is about acid, lemon, lime and an angular quality. Maybe more polished but still Chablis like for those that drink lots of euro wines. I sense more mineral undertones here, stone/chalk notes. Excellent.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Very light colored, wasted out strawberry color. There’s light spice on the nose and tart cranberry and pomegranate. A light bodied wine that is more feminine and less about brute force but I also lean towards those red fruit flavors. I reminds me of a few Gamay wines I’ve tasted and if I was tasting blind I would be comfortable in calling it Gamay. I’d be wrong but that’s not the point…
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Graveyard Block Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    What a contrast from the Bohan, this is expressive, strong, structured, and young. The nose and attack were cherry with the finish heading in the classic red berries and tart cherry. No stems but this wine has grip. I’ve noticed tannins on many Kutch wines are finely knitted and the closer the knitting the tighter the wine. Unlike, say a young Barolo, this wine is approachable with air but it really needs 3-5 to cement all the pieces together. Very good.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Mindego Ridge Vineyard - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    First vintage for Kutch from this vineyard. I REALLY like this wine, it’s excellent, and the vineyard sits up by Rhys Alpine so that can’t hurt. Great balance and drinking very well already. Red raspberry fruit, medium acid, and slightly different mouthfeel that Graveyard, may just less aggressive. Gonna be a winner now and in the future.
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Kutch as a philosophy of over delivering on the AVA wines, it’s by design. While some producers use an AVA wine to dump barrels that don’t make the grade Kutch and a few other producers have taken another tack which is use top shelf barrels in the AVA. I also like the strategy of blending in multiple vineyards into the AVA because the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

Nose is sweet/fruity. Red fruit. Definitely getting whole cluster on this wine, I think there’s a few special barrels of Mindego that used whole cluster unlike the vineyard designated Mindego. Very long finish with firm/strong tannins. This wine is rocky/crunchy right now. Winner.

• 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir McDougall Ranch - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Raspberry, Strawberry, and Cherry. This shows more variety of fruit profiles than the others in the lineup. There’s a strong green note on the backend, don’t know if that’s the tannins or stems from the whole cluster. Super fine tannins, like a 320 grit sandpaper. This will take time to settle down and integrate. It was only bottle 3 weeks ago…
  • 2019 Kutch Pinot Noir Falstaff Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    Falstaff is a fan favorite and for good reasons. Great nose, that’s the first thing to catch your attention. There’s raspberry, cranberry, pomegranate, and rhubarb which I tend to gravitate towards, the leaner red fruited flavors. Already great balance, a delicious quality, and good structure around a long finish. Might want to stock up on this one.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks all for the notes! Does anyone know the age of the vineyard/vines used in making the Mindego Ridge?

Paul,

Mindego Ridge Vineyard was planted in 2009.

Cheers to all and thanks for the great notes. I am working on the release letter to go out on January 12th for the first four wines of the 2019 vintage to be released.

Cheers, Jamie

1 Like

Picture to show where the vineyard is in reference to Rhys. BTW - that’s a nasty road to drive on, it’s the outback. There’s a vineyard block map attached too. It’ll be a winner for Kutch. Jamie said the owners are freaks about taking care of the place.

Thanks Jamie and Brig! Looks like it’s in a pretty chilly part of the world.

Thanks guys. It’s always both fun and informative to read your early notes on the Kutch lineup.

Release Letter received earlier this afternoon detailed below.

1. I can’t believe Jamie has released 16 vintages! I’ve only been on board since the 2010 vintage; these keep getting better each year and I look forward to trying the 2019s.
  2. Very much looking forward to the upcoming “Estate” bottlings! Congrats Jamie on the acquisition and the future!

Exciting News:
I am proud to announce that after successfully producing sixteen vintages of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, we have become proud landowners and will soon be planting our own estate vineyard, as early as this spring!

After waiting and watching the market patiently for several years, the right piece of land in Sebastopol presented itself just after Thanksgiving. Once it did, we acted swiftly knowing it met every parameter we had been patiently searching for. The 12-acre, 100-year-old organically farmed apple orchard sits on a bench formation 250 feet in elevation on the Sonoma Coast. The soil series and formation are Goldridge, Wilson Grove, a fine-grained shallow marine quartz sandstone that formed during a recess in the ocean’s coastline three to five million years ago. It sits on top of deeply eroded Franciscan rocks that range up to 1,000 feet thick. We are beyond excited to plant roots and begin building Kutch estate. Stay tuned for more to come!

Our Release:
Our 2019 vintage release opens tomorrow when we will offer the first four wines from the vintage. We are exceptionally proud of these wines and hope you will appreciate the dedication that goes into crafting each one, from vineyard to bottle. Our release letter discusses the history of Trout Gulch Vineyard.

Wines to be Released Tomorrow:
2019 Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir $39
2019 Trout Gulch Chardonnay $49
2019 Bohan Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir $54
2019 Falstaff Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir $64

Allocations are not guaranteed for this release and the wines will be sold on a first come, first served basis.

Please keep an eye on your inbox tomorrow morning at 8:00am when your allocation goes live.

Cheers and be well,
Jamie Kutch

Trent, can you paste the TG story here?

1 Like

There was no embedded link to the Trout Gulch story so I presume it will be published tomorrow when the release goes live.

Release Letter which includes Trout Gulch history.

Kutch has been money for me since I started buying with the 2013 vintage, both for Pinot and for Chardonnay. I wish I could have bought more today. Get some while you can.