TN: 2018 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux

2018 Mongeard-Mugneret Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (1/1/2021)
Super ripe and primary with a good bit of oak. Lots of heat also at 15%. This is very new world and not my style at all.

I think this is gonna need some time.

1 Like

Thanks Andrew.

They generally need a lot of time. Hoping this one may come around one day.

Yikes, bought a couple 375ml to see if getting more was in order. Guess I better open one and see.

Thanks for the note.

3 days later and my fears are mainly allayed. Oak has diminished and it’s not overripe by any means, revealing lovely complexity and spice. Good body and mouthfeel. Reminds me of some 2015 specimens, but with a touch more acidity. It’s a lovely drink.

I only bought one bottle to sample and unsure if I will purchase more although if I already had another 6 I wouldn’t be upset. I already have several Ech Grande Complication and Richebourg and I think that might be enough for me for 2018.

Interesting, tried a '15 MM CdV recently that was quite fine and lacy, albeit with a reasonable base of oak. Must say that I was expecting something denser and more extracted. Was drinking rather well despite its obvious youth.