TN: 2001 Attilio Contini Barrile Isola dei Nuraghi IGT

• 2001 Attilio Contini Barrile Isola dei Nuraghi IGT - Italy, Sardinia, Isola dei Nuraghi IGT (1/1/2021)
    A lazy bottle decant of 2 hours. Its as dense as a neutron star and near black in the glass, seems deep violet at the brim at an angle with light. Nose is black fruit, tomato skin, tar, oak. Front hits with plums, black currants, graphite and just char(like a char on meat minus the meat). Tannins are gripping, and well integrated while acidity is Medium(+). Moving to the finish, its black fruit-centric, currant notes and textures, fading out with some tar and graphite. An older bottle for sure. I can see this being a beast when younger and 20 years later its still kicking hard. Enjoyable and not a food wine. Bold, has some life left based on the overall structure. Can’t see the fruit evolving any further, just the edges softening. Will continue to drink well provided the fruit holds up. I’d not sit on any for long if you have them.

Posted from CellarTracker

Wonder if this producer is related to the Contini winery on Sardegna? They are famous for their Vernaccia di Oristano.

It’s definitely the same producer. They make some reds from Nieddera and other local Sardinian grapes, as well as some more conventional white wines. I’ve yet to come across anything besides the Vernaccia di Oristano Riserva and the Antico Gregori.