A few good Burgs

2017 Caroline Morey Criots-Bâtard-Montrachet, Grand cru: Very young but very good. There are pure white peach and pear aromas and flavours with a suggestion of green apple too. It has a touch of spice and the palate is rich, voluminous and layered. It is a powerful wine but light on its feet, with good, minerally detail and a sappy finish with plenty of dry extract. Length of flavour is superb.

2017 Domaine Christian Moreau Père et Fils Chablis Grand Cru Les Clos: Classic Chablis nose of oyster shell and preserved citrus. It is full, rich and layered in the mouth. There’s gentle creaminess but no lack of Chablis cut. It finishes with good energy and is complex and very long.

2016 François Raveneau Chablis 1er Cru Butteaux: From Magnum this was extremely tight. There was a whiff of citrus and some mint and fennel. It was direct, with good volume and intensity. The finish is really sappy and supremely long.

2009 Philippe Pacalet Echezeaux, Grand Cru: This is drinking very nicely, loads of floral spice to the aroma along with fresh cherries and berries. It is silky in the mouth, with mineral definition and a finish loaded with floral spice.

2015 Louis Jadot Clos de la Roche, Grand Cru: An expressive nose of black and blue fruits, camphor and spice. It is dense, rich and full, with excellent depth and supporting structure. The finish is chewy and expansive, with excellent persistence.

Well done, Jeremy. I need to try some CBM in 2021!

Pacalet is working for you, is it? Had some of his Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru 2007…did not do it for me. Kind of a mess, off flavors. I have one more, which may have come around now, but somewhat hesitant to try.

Jerry keeps telling me to drink C Morey. I guess I’ll drink his! If I ever see him!

Joshua,

Pacalet are either on or off. I tend to drink them on the younger side but this one was from a friend’s cellar and it shone.

Cheers
Jeremy

1 Like

Took a quick glance at the title and got really hungry. But thanks anyway for the notes on wine :slight_smile:

Ok I’ll open a Caroline Morey for you, hopefully before 2022.

Please post a TN when you open it. I have one as well, was thinking of selling, but like to see if it’s come around. My experience mirrors yours.

1 Like

I have tasted a few Caroline Morey side by side with other wines, and whilst they are excellent, I find her wines a tad “green” for my palate. Any views on how you compare her wines against others? I have only had 4 or so bottles (not GC level).

Hi Jozef,

I think of Caroline’s wines as supremely elegant, perfumed and finer. She tends to pick on the earlier side to maintain freshness and her wines in both colours are generally beautifully balanced. They do not seem to have the same level of dry extract as her husband’s wines.

Cheers
Jeremy